• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using a military antenna with am/fm radio

ckwatson

Here are pictures.

Note in the last one, there are several connectors with the bottom most projection with the exposed screw head is a knob that has several different "clicks," I assume to select between the various connectors. I have no idea which connector is for what kind of radio.

V/R,
ChrisDSC_0857.jpgDSC_0858.jpgDSC_0859.jpgDSC_0860.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Chris, good photos. That is the AS-1729 antenna with MX-6707 base. It is intended for use on 30 to 76 MHz and has the switch to set the internal components for the range needed. That switch can be set manually, as you noted, or electrically by way of the multi-pin connector (only turn it clockwise.) The switching signal can come from the typical VRC-12 radio set, like the RT-524 or RT-246.

There is a great website here: http://radionerds.com/index.php/AS-1729~VRC with most any info you need on the antenna. This antenna works fine for 6 meter ham and sort of works on 10m Ham band and 11 meters(CB) but don't expect best performance. For receiving, it will work just fine.

The coaxial connector is a standard BNC type, same as used on the radios, so a BNC to BNC coaxial cable is used.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a short maybe 14inch antenna adapter on ebay from a China seller that has the normal am/fm plug on one end for any car/truck with a bnc connector on the other end. I plan on using it with a bnc union and using the standard military cable to an as3900 with the bnc connector.

I suspect it would work for any base with a bnc connector.

I have not installed it yet but see no reason why this would not work for simple am/fm stereo?