• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using K5 Blazers as donor trucks

Electrons

Me and my father purchased a couple of M1009s about three years ago. We ended up with 4 parts trucks. We were able to build my Dad one good truck out of the four.

The other 3 have problems. They are missing all doors and the rear tail gates. They are missing both front and rear axles. One or two of them have been cut into the frame where the rear axle mounts with a cutting torch. No drivers or passenger front seats. But I'm fairly certain at least 2 of them are complete outside of those issues.

I would like to fix one up for myself. Buying the replacement parts one by one could add up to more than simply buying a M1009 that already has the parts.

So I would like to get a donor K5 Blazer. I have heard that the M1009 closest resembles 83-84 K5. And the M1009 uses the 10 bolt axle. AND you can get the front doors off of about any chevy from the 80s.

Are there any pitfalls with using a K5 Blazer for parts? Anything I should take note of when looking parts trucks over before purchase? Anything to avoid?

I live in MS, and can probably get a parts truck for between 500-1500. I would like to buy just one and avoid filling the yard with a dozen mistake purchases. I don't think the family would tolerate any more trucks on the property.

THANKS!

6x6guy

I have known guys in the past do just that, but the up here it's the salt factor ( rusted parts) from the use
of road salt on the roads, distroys all metals that gets in contact with it. But down where your at,
it should not be a problem. :roll:

1984M1009

They are the same vehicle minus the 24 volt stuff and the Blazer have way more options usually. the M1009 is as bare bones as you can possibly get