• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

using the STE/ICE-R on a m1008

uh60

Has anyone used the STE/ICE-R test set on a m1008? If so was it easy to use and did you find it usefull? I bought one when I got the m1008. Was it a good investment?

tmbrwolf

Used them in the military, the M1008's didn't have all the sensors installed so the STE/ICE didn't have full functionallity, but it worked ok you will need to use the test cable and transducer kit for some tests.

aboonski

Ken, Hello from West Melbourne Florida! I just bought an STE/ICE set and have an M1008. I am trying to figure out how to work this thing now! I am slowly working my way through the TM that came with the set and somewhere I found where you have to use a "code" to identify the vehicle you are using it on. Is there a chapter in the CUCV TM's that relate to the use of the STE/ICE? For starters I wanted to see how the RPM feature worked when connected to the test plug under the dash. Any help would be appreciated! I am but a novice at this stuff!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check tables 2-8 & 2-9 on page 2-50. Some of the VID numbers including the M1008 are shown there.

aboonski

Thank you 319 so much for that information! That's probably the key to using this thing! I have a feeling a person could expand the use of the STE/ICE for civilian vehicles to do simple voltage, oil pressure and other similar tests without difficulty. I am amazed that the test set that I got had very little if any use at all. How much did these cost the government when new?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The set I received had absolutly no paw prints on it, everything looks new. The tag from GL shows it cost the taxpayer over $7200. Years ago, a comparable tester for the civilian market was about $1500. Can't touch one for that now, but then again they do a lot more.

ssgtwright-usmc

Thanks aboonski,
If I go with a 20x20x20 box and go parcel post with usps its $47.93 per box. Almost $240 for all 5 which aint bad.
Shipping will be 11 days so I can wait at that price. If I wanted it sooner its $90 to $210 for next day or 3 day delivery.
Ill be going with 11 days!!!!

dependable

I think we are talking about the device that plugs into the round, multi pinned outlet under our dash boards. A few people who know more than I tell me it is practically useless. Correct me if I am wrong.

RedLeader5

Sensors

Don't have a ste/ice, but trying to get sensor data from multi-pinned outlet. So far have just verified vehicle battery and shunt leads on outlet using a meter. The manual says I should be able to get readings of around 100 mV for fuel, oil, temp sensors, etc. Can I verify sensors are working properly with a meter from the multi-pin diagnostic connector, or do I need a ste/ice unit? Haven't been able to get any other readings from sensor pins yet... thanks.

aboonski

RE: Sensors

I'll tell you this, I need to go to one of those military crash courses to learn how to use my STE/ICE unit! It's turning out to be more of a static display than anything else right now. I think I need some kind of an update to the software and trying to find a place that knows how to troubleshoot or work on these VTM sets. Right now I would be happy to know if anybody has had any luck with theirs and just what they had to do to get the VIN ID into the thing! Some of the attachements that come with the kit look very expensive so if nothing else happes it does make a great conversation piece!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Mine is sitting at my brother in laws house right now waiting for me to come home to Korea but I know my mechanics used them a lot in the motor pool. I am going to put it through its paces working on all my trucks and will let you know but that will not be for a while.

ssgtwright-usmc

I dont have mine yet but I keep reading about calibration of the unit and also software update?
How is one to know if it needs calibration and also, does this come with software???
Im still waiting for my EUC to go thru and now I am afraid I might have wasted my money for nothing!!!

Brad M

Anyone know if there is a source for replacement transducers? Had to be made by someone for the military so replacing them should be possible if one could find a manufactures markings on them.

I have saved replacing a $4000.00 control board on a Trane 1200 Ton chiller by sourcing a $1.93 momentary pushbutton from an OE supplier and soldering it in. These should be no problem if I could get some up close pictures of any markings on them.

I have the STE/ICE kit but without the transducers, it is one he# of an expensive voltmeter.

Thanks if anyone can post pictures and or info.