• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using Tranny cooler as power steering cooler

Dukeboy

My M1008 hasn't had a TH400 for quite some time now, so my stock tranny cooler is going unused. My newer trucks have power steering coolers from the factory. currently I am replacing all hoses etc. and wondered if it would be a good idea. I would flush out the cooler real well and plumb it into the return line from the steering box. I guess my question is what temperature does the steering fluid and components like to be at. I may add hydraulic assist steering in the future if I go crossover but not at this time.

Thanks in Advance

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be more concerned with the trans cooling. If you will be pulling, I'd hook the cooler into the trans. P/S doesn't get that hot in on road conditions. 2cents

bjsmith

on a truck i used to have i put tranny cooler on power steering because it would get where you couldn't touch the lines and it worked great afterward you could hold lines just depends on how its mounted it will take some time bleeding all the air out

Dukeboy

Thank you for your replies, I am trying to figure out if power steering fluid and components are ok between 180-220 deg, which is where this possible setup would put them. I am not considering a stand alone heat exchanger at this time. found plenty of posts online about adding coolers but none specifying a temperature range.