• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC M116a(2???) Bed Measurements Needed

SteveKuhn

I'm looking at one of these trailers and I can't quite get a handle on the measurements based on my M116a2. In particular, I'm trying to picture how regular A2 bows can be fitted.

If anyone knows these widths in the marked up photo, I'd appreciate hearing back. It'll save me bucking 2 1/2 hrs of traffic one way on the Long Island Expressway for something that measures wrong.

A = Outer fender edge to outer fender edge
B = Outer flatbed edge to outer flat bed edge
C = Inner flat bed weld to inner flat bed weld (Bonus question: Isn't this the width of the plain old Army M116A2?

Thanks.

Steve

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically, the bed is identical in dimension to your A2 bed with the exception of the bolt on extensions around the fender well and just fore and aft of it. The other issue is that it has no pockets for bows. Other than that, same as the A2.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That flat bed looks like a A3 model which do not use the bows/tarp. You would need to cut a hole in the bed and fab up a pocket/slot. Make sure you look at the support ribs and that they are not in the way.

The bow corners are adjustable as they are the regular ones used for m101 and m105. The staves are longer and use push pins to hold in place.

The A2's & A1's had the hole and bow set up. A1's usually also had a front plate.

SteveKuhn

Guys, that's exactly the information I was looking for. G, I wasn't able to find that post via search.

Now I can try to figure out how to mount bows. I'm not figuring on the A2 style stake pockets, but I'd like to use those bows.

Thanks to all and Happy New Year.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks