• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC M813 fording question

dilligaf13

I've got a USMC M813, with the fording kit, that I bobbed for a full time trail truck. My question is the axles don't have the air lines, for low air pressure. There are three lines running off the fording kit. The first is in place and runs to the bell housing. The second runs to the air horn. The third is the problem. It runs down the passenger's side of the engine block and ends. Where is it supposed to go? Thanks.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be the road draft tube and when fording it is closed off when you pull the fording leaver.
That's why we have to watch long fording or returning the valve to the open position after fording because of the crankcase pressures.

Last edited:

dilligaf13

Gotcha. So do the axles do not receive positive pressure from the crankcase, when the fording lever is pulled? For now I just ran some hose from the axle vents up into the cab to ensure they don't suck in water. It also looks like top of the master cylinder has a 90 degree NPT elbow so I'll just run a secondary brake reservoir, up in the cab, to overcome this issue. The transmission has 3 lines running off the top but I don't see a vent, like the deuces have. Is there anything up there that needs to be plumbed higher? Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Those trans lines go to the transfer case for shifting the sprag.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the poppets on the trans. one would think since it is just a exit for the air when the piston changes from forward and reverse it should expel what little water could get in there. Since there is a fitting with NPT threads for the exhaust fitting it would be easy to do. Also I would since your there tighten all 8 of the bolts that hold the poppets together and to the trans. as I always find them loose when I check the trucks that I am servicing.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also I would worry about the fuel tanks. The ones I have seen have non vented caps and you better make sure the gasket does not leak. Also most of the vents I have seen on the fuel tanks have a fitting then rubber hose and plastic lines that run to the vent block that is on the passenger side of the engine firewall. I just did one where I unscrewed the fittings out of the fuel tanks and replaced with barb fittings from NAPA and one brass T fitting to join them together. Then ran new rubber line to the engine bay block and a barb fitting there.

PS the best laid plan of mice and men. I hate fording as no matter how I prepare the truck water wins out somewhere, somehow. I will say always carry a extra fuel filter and a big wrench so you can drain the water out of the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter. The front axle can be checked buy taking out one of the four lower bolts that hold the spindle caps on. As for the bell housing just get a ball valve and screw it into the hole and you can open and close without a wrench. Also the power steering pump has to be vented and water tight.
Like the movie JAWS don't go in the water.

Last edited:

dilligaf13

I relocated the fuel tank for that exact reason. I like the idea of the ball valve on the bell housing that's way easier than placing/pulling the drain plug, especially when the underside is dripping water and mud all over you...

Definitely need to pickup a couple spare fuel filters.

dilligaf13

Another question. Does the vent tube, on the top of the airpack, need to be routed above the water line for fording operations?

airpack.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks