• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC markings in Vietnam

rolfi

Gentlemen
I found this site while looking for some information about USMC vehicle markings carried in Vietnam. This sub forum seems to be the best place to post this query. I am aware that the basic system comprised a, usually, yellow geometric shape with the unit designation within and other sub-unit designators around it if required. Can anyone suggest a reliable source of information?
Some examples:

usmc.jpg

Top row:
K Battery, 4th Battalion, 12th Marines, 3rd Marine Division.
C Company, 3rd Medical Battalion, 3rd Marine Division.
Unknown; possibly associated with 3rd Marine Division.
Unknown.
Bottom row:
1st Tank Battalion.
1st Amphibious Tractor Battalion.
H & S Company,3rd Motor Transport Battalion, Force Service Regiment, Force Logistics Command
B Company, 9th Motor Transport Battalion.

Thanks

RW

Attachments

txdodge43man

I have been looking for markings for my USMC M35a2 and have had very little luck. The TM I have for combat veihcale marking for the USMC only show hood numbers from what I found unit markings were done at the unit level and they were all differant. good job finding what you found keep looking.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich Raday (RIP)(USMC -Viet Nam) taught me that those symbols were painted on the doors and tailgate/back of trucks in that era. The symbols were very small, maybe 4" diameter. The trucks were USMC green with no stars. The registration number was painted on the hood in the same place as army trucks, only using yellow drab paint. Nothing was painted in the unit markings area on the bumpers.

Norseland

you know thanks for posting but my bud had described his w/ a sheild or something, sorry cant remember the details now, that was months ago, but he was 1st mar, 11th motors, he was a gunner on convoys.

Militoy

My Gama Goat was a USMC vehicle - early PDO out of Camp Pendleton, CA - and even though I don't have any information that it was in 'Nam during the war, I suspect there is a chance it might have been, since I've seen photos of several Goats with serial numbers within 10 of mine that were there. I'm still researching through a USMC historian - to see if any specific info might be available. Mine came in MERDC 4-color camo, over the original semi-gloss USMC green. The only markings are "USMC" and the serial number (which serves as my California VIN number) stencilled on front, sides and rear, and the (mystery) numbers "14352" over the "USMC" on the two side marking areas. The Goats I have seen in VN photos had no visible unit logos. Any info as to what the extra numbers might have indicated would be appreciated!

Steaminjim

"Tac markings" on USMC vehicles

In the early 70's when I was in the 7th com Bn 1st Marine Brigade guarding the shores of Hawaii we had to mark every box, barrel, vehicle and trailer with our unit Tac mark. As described earlier in this thread it was about 4-6 inches in dia and was made up of simple shapes of different colors some with numbers. Major end items were also marked like radios and cryptos and the accessory bags that went with them.
I was taught that it was there to simplify getting the right men with their material quickly when they were mounting up in the well deck, or when the stuff came across the beach. It also allowed expeditious routing of follow-on material as it crossed the beach. I can;t remember what ours was but I do remember one that was a black box surmounted by a gray half circle. Although it is a bit hazy now I seem to remember that ground units were predominantly yellow and red and the air wing used gray and black.

Last edited:

ONTOS66

When I was with 3rd Anti-Tank Battalion on Okinawa we had the red shield with yellow triad on our wheeled vehicles, water cans, etc. I don't recall having these markings on the Ontos. This is a stencil version of the WWII patch for the 3rd Marine Division.

When I was with the 1st Anti-Tank Battalion at Camp Pendleton, Cal. I don't recall what if any markings were used on our gear.

Unfortunately most of my photos from those days didn't survive my moves.

Attachments

ONTOS66

I found a few examples of vehicles with USMC unit markings.

1. F Company, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division (infantry for those that don't speak Marine) ;)
2. H&S Company, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division (Headquarters Co. for the regiment)
3. The diamond is usually air wing, but couldn't ID the actual unit, any guesses?
4. 3rd Marine Division, but can't read the unit, that M422 needs a bath (as did we all)

Attachments

67Beast

Contact Dave at Delta Team Decals www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/ he can help you out with USMC markings.

Plus he's a member here and has always provided excellent service. [thumbzup]

Thanks,

Here is a pic I have used before as referances when making decal set for members. The mighty mites are marked as 1st Batt. / 9th Reg. 3rd Marine Division, and the deuce looks to be marked as C company of a Maintenace reg. 3rd Marine Division.

Attachments

SgtMajHarper

My Gama Goat was a USMC vehicle - early PDO out of Camp Pendleton, CA - and even though I don't have any information that it was in 'Nam during the war, I suspect there is a chance it might have been, since I've seen photos of several Goats with serial numbers within 10 of mine that were there. I'm still researching through a USMC historian - to see if any specific info might be available. Mine came in MERDC 4-color camo, over the original semi-gloss USMC green. The only markings are "USMC" and the serial number (which serves as my California VIN number) stencilled on front, sides and rear, and the (mystery) numbers "14352" over the "USMC" on the two side marking areas. The Goats I have seen in VN photos had no visible unit logos. Any info as to what the extra numbers might have indicated would be appreciated!
I'm in the time machine.....responding to old threads that may / may not have members here anymore......anyway....the 5 digit mystery number "14352" is most likely the unit's RUC number that is a unit identifier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks