• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC MV-22 Osprey - air to air video flying over Lake Tahoe

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My younger Marine son is a gunner on V-22's. As an old CH-53 guy, I find that to be a somewhat bizarre aircraft!

Cheers

GoldComet6

My younger Marine son is a gunner on V-22's. As an old CH-53 guy, I find that to be a somewhat bizarre aircraft!
Cheers
Yes - they seem a bit awkward looking too me. Not really a fan of them myself, but they are quite capable aircraft.

Are they really worth the money they cost to develop and purchase? Not in my opinion..... :roll:

tim292stro

Just from the V-22 specs...

• 428 Nautical Mile mission radius is 4.28 times what the CH-53 can do
  • 270 Knots cruise speed is 1.8 times what the CH-53 can do
  • In Helicopter mode, the max altitude of 10,000feet is 3.14 times what a CH-53 will do
  • In Airplane mode, the max altitude of 25,000 feet is 7.68 times what a CH-53 will do

I've flown in a simulator/trainer for the smaller civilian version - I'm a fan. [thumbzup]

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey! Quit slagging my CH-53, the V-22 replaced the CH-46!! ;)
If you really want to be impressed, compare the performance of those two.

I have to point out though, service ceiling for a CH-53 is 18,500', not 3250'.

Cheers

Last edited:

GoldComet6

Just from the V-22 specs...

• 428 Nautical Mile mission radius is 4.28 times what the CH-53 can do
  • 270 Knots cruise speed is 1.8 times what the CH-53 can do
  • In Helicopter mode, the max altitude of 10,000feet is 3.14 times what a CH-53 will do
  • In Airplane mode, the max altitude of 25,000 feet is 7.68 times what a CH-53 will do

I've flown in a simulator/trainer for the smaller civilian version - I'm a fan. [thumbzup]

Yep - impressive specs! But here is what I think about, they are much more expensive than a CH-53 too. Based on my memory twice the cost and they cannot lift as much. I'd have to recheck that to be sure.

Program cost = $35.6 billion after planned procurement of 408 aircraft
Unit cost = MV-22 $72.1 million flyaway each for FY2015

We only have so much money, I just want it to be spent wisely!

I just wonder what else could be done with those funds. How about a few more F-22s?

tim292stro

Not slagging, just a different role to play - I love big airframes too :beer:. '53s and '47s are awesome for heavy lift. '22s are better for light fast insertions and extractions.

Like the difference between a Deuce and an M37...

...We only have so much money, I just want it to be spent wisely! I just wonder what else could be done with those funds. How about a few more F-22s?
Could kill F35 and just keep F18s, F22s, and A10s...

Last edited:

TachedOutOffRoad

We see them all the time getting refuled.

Big, wide, and loud.
Not made to sling loads like 47s, 53s, or even 60 (can sling 9k pounds).
24 seats isn't really a lot either.
its a VTOL airplane, not a real helicopter. Cant really autorotate.

The high ceiling isn't a real bonus since it isn't pressurized. You'll be on supplemental O2 if above 10k ft for any real time.

Id take a MH-47 with the bigger fuel tanks and inflight refueling probe!

its a cool aircraft, just comparing it to a real helicopter isn't really its deal. its a different mission.

Semperr Fi

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks