• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Utah M923A2 Title and Registration experience

Thought I would share my recent M923A2 Utah Title and Registration experience. Someone may find it helpful who is considering buy or registering a M939 Series truck in Utah.

One of my big concerns when I was contemplating buying a M923 was whether I was going to have a problem getting it titled and registered for street legal driving. Another thing that concerned me was buying it from an individual who had no title just the SF97 In GL’s name and re-assignment letter from GL to him. During my search for a truck I noticed very few trucks were state titled or registered, and the one that was titled was sketchy - for example titled as a 1988 Chevy when it’s 1991 BMY .

Many on SS recommend buying a truck only with clear state issued title from an individual and not a SF97 with a Re-Assignment letter, and when I started looking initially for a truck, the state issued title was mandatory for me. However I quickly found out the vast majority of the trucks I liked didn’t have a State issued title (this is particularly true for California based trucks)

I recently flew out to California, purchased a M923A2 and drove back to Southern Utah.

Before I left I went to the Utah DMV in person and explained what I was buying and the paperwork I would have and confirmed with them that there would not be a need for any other documents.

1. Original SF97 US Government to GL
2. Notarized Re-Assignment of SF97 from GL to Buyer
3. Notarized Bill of Sale from GL to Buyer
4. Notarized Re-Assignment of SF97 from Seller to Me
5. Bill of Sale from Seller to Me
6. Utah Vin number inspection form (free completed by any Utah law officer)
7. Utah Safety Inspection ($15.00)

Today I went to Utah DMV at approx 1pm with the 7 listed documents and 10 minutes later I walked out with my temp registration and title in hand. I get my original title mailed in about 10 days and my personalized license plates “BIGRTNU” in about 4 weeks.

No horror story – quick, simple, and painless (except for paying the sales tax). Utah DMV was a pleasure to deal with.

Gunzy

I have registered an M923 and an M105a2 with no problem and also titled a few other trucks purchased from GL and have never had any hassles in the Utah DMV. My 923 is an AM General and I have titled a BMY also all with "0" problems.

Gunzy

I'm waiting for the SF97 to my new M1101 so I can go tag and title it. Utah has gotten very good at getting titles out quickly.

FSRD

So was it registered as an RV, commercial vehicle, passenger vehicle or what type of vehicle wss it registered as? Thanks!

I just got a M934A1 I live in Utah as well and will be registering it soon. It already has a title.

What type of insurance were you able to insure it under such as RV, commercial, etc. and what insurance agency did you use? Thanks!

Gunzy

Utah will register it just as "Private" like a pick up only based on GVWR. Mine is registered at 36000lbs. I am insured as a collector vehicle.

MtnSnow

Yep, Registered as a private "heavy" truck. I went with 32K on weight limit on one (dash plate lists loaded weight at 31,550 lbs for my M923a2) and then I went 26K on my other truck. The 32K is about 100 bucks more in registration costs for those extra 6K pounds... Next year I'll just register them both at 26k since I don't haul that much weight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks