• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

utah WMO

randini

Ok, so I dont want to get a 10K fine for not paying fuel tax. If I run WMO in my Deuce, how do I pay my .26 cent/gallon (whatever the amount!) tax. Anyone here in Utah do this?. Dont get me wrong, I am not eager to pay, but .26(whatever) is cheaper that the thousand for a fine.
I did call the state tax commision, thay had no idea how to do this. I looked on line also...NO help.
Anyone here here in Utah do this?

BadMastard

Hmm... That's a good question. If you make BioDiesel, would you have to pay tax? Maybe if we ask about that, since technically we are making our own fuel from non-fuel sources.

paulfarber

In PA you would get a Blenders License and submit tax based on what you used.

Your State Revenue dept web site would be the place to look first.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The argument could be made that the WMO is an "additive" to the regular diesel to improve milage and performance.

If they dip your tank they are going to be looking for off road fuel dye......prob not WMO, WVO or biodiesel.

If they ask why the fuel is black tell them you burn your oil change oil....nothing illegal about that.

BadMastard

Ok legal experts, here's the Utah laws I found about WMO…

___definition of a "diesel fuel" as per utah code title 59, section 13___
(4) (a) "Diesel fuel" means any liquid that is commonly or commercially known, offered for sale, or used as a fuel in diesel engines.
(b) "Diesel fuel" includes any combustible liquid, by whatever name the liquid may be known or sold, when the liquid is used in an internal combustion engine for the generation of power to operate a motor vehicle licensed to operate on the highway, except fuel that is subject to the tax imposed in Part 2, Motor Fuel, and Part 4, Aviation Fuel, of this chapter.

_______Tax rates accruing to title 59_13_201_______
59-13-201. Rate -- Tax basis -- Exemptions -- Revenue deposited in the Transportation Fund -- Restricted account for boating uses -- Refunds -- Reduction of tax in limited circumstances.
(1) (a) Subject to the provisions of this section, a tax is imposed at the rate of 24-1/2 cents per gallon upon all motor fuel that is sold, used, or received for sale or used in this state.
(b) In lieu of the tax imposed under Subsection (1)(a) and subject to the provisions of this section, a tax is imposed at the rate of 3/19 of the rate imposed under Subsection (1)(a), rounded up to the nearest penny, upon all motor fuels that meet the definition of clean fuel in Section 59-13-102 and are sold, used, or received for sale or use in this state.

Looks like to me they consider WMO a diesel fuel, and it's 24 1/2 per gallon to use it… Still, cheaper than any other fuel in Utah!

This is of course my personal opinion, but it's a class b misdemeanor so it's up to you to determine if one is more expensive than the other (use it, hide it, get caught or use it, pay tax, wave at nice policemen)

Saddest part of all this? It took me an hour to find the applicable verbiage. it took me 30 seconds to find a way to turn someone in for not paying tax on their fuels. Go figure.

It also means all my fun hippie friends that are burning veggie oil in their tanks are likely to have more trouble than us. Why you ask? It's hard to tell when we burn oil. it's black and smells like, well, diesel. My hippie friends? They smell like French Fries...

paulfarber

Send them $20 every reporting period... keep them off your back and you have receipts that you did pay *something*.

I am still looking for PAs forms.. but depending on the reporting requirements. If you need something like a certified pump then screw it... it'll wait to get dipped.. also I always look at the penalty for filing late.. lots of times the penalty for filing late or not filing is worse than getting caught.

Gotta walk a fine line.

Crazyguypa

I just got my blender's permit from Pa 3 weeks ago. Pretty easy when you get in touch with the correct person. A guy from the dept came to check my setup (centrifuge), asked a couple of questions, like how much do you estimate on using per year. Handed him a check for $381, you pay up front for 1000gals, and then submit monthly report forms. To me it's worth paying 38 cents/gal and not having to deal with any cop trying to make more revenue for the states.

In Pa, I didn't need a metered pump since I am not making WMO/Biodiesel to sell. It's only for personal use, so you pay the tax on what you report.

goldneagle

As far as i was told in Louisiana if you are using it for your personal use there is no fees. Still waiting for the confirmation letter.

paulfarber

Thanks for the great info on PAs blenders license.

Crappy part is the MONTHLY reporting. How much is the penalty if you miss or are late that month?

I don't think I will burn 1000 gallons.. who know. I may have done about 8 so far... but I guess once you get a set up it will be easier and you'll burn more.

The 'Revenuer' is gonna be pretty disappointed when he finds out I have 3 5 gallon buckets and some filter socks.

goldneagle

Thanks for the great info on PAs blenders license.

Crappy part is the MONTHLY reporting. How much is the penalty if you miss or are late that month?

I don't think I will burn 1000 gallons.. who know. I may have done about 8 so far... but I guess once you get a set up it will be easier and you'll burn more.

The 'Revenuer' is gonna be pretty disappointed when he finds out I have 3 5 gallon buckets and some filter socks.
Wait until EPA and OSHA get involved. They will put us all out of business!

'48Chevy6

Wait until EPA and OSHA get involved. They will put us all out of business!
I know how you feel. Been there, thought that. Then I started digging.

The EPA has many well written, easy to understand documents that cover the storing, transporting, and handling of waste oil. Compliance may be a bit of a pain, but is most likely worth the effort.

As a general rule, OSHA covers occupations. I now choose to operate under the assumption that what I do on my own that does not involve any employees is not under the jurisdiction of the government entity that exists to help protect employees.

Tim

paulfarber

A lot of OSHA regs only affect certain minimum size (employee) businesses.

Plus if its just you, you have no employees to protect... so you get off on a technicality :)

randini

You know, I spent about 45min-hour on the phone. I was transferred several times. Still no one could answer the question. The state tax dept asked that I write (not E-mail) the tax commision and they would look into it, then get back to me. Arrg! How can they make this so hard? I want to give them money..

hedgehog69

I know you are looking for Utah info....but throwing Iowa info in there as well

Iowa Department of Revenue - Iowa Taxes

Really easy to do....gotta do it monthly...even for months you use none.
I figure it is much easier and a lot less expensive to pay it....rather than try and beat the State out of it... Iowa is 22.5 cents per gal for state tax....no idea about doing federal...my understanding is we only pay Fed if we use over 400 gal per year

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks