• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Utilizing M925 stock hydraulics

6wdcummins83

Has anyone put a valve in to use the stock pto for another purpose? I plan to use the pto for a dump hoist but want to still use the winch. I do not want an electric kit if at all possible.

charger53

I used the winch valve for my dump since I didn't have a winch, However looking through the TM's I did see that the dump trucks with winch have a dual valve to control both the dump and the winch. If you could get one of those that would be the easy way. I put a diverter valve in after my control valve so I can divert fluid to the rear of the truck and use the same control valve for a dump trailer I am building, I am also adding hydraulic cylinders to the heavy ramps on my equipment trailer that I will be able to control from the cab of the truck. I would think that you could add a valve inline with the winch valve and as long as it was a flow though like the winch valve you could use one or the other, but not both at the same time. I do not recommend using the winch valve for a dump, it does not have a detent or hold position to hold the dump in the raised position and the control is not really precise enough to spread material very well.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's easy enough to do, you'll just need to buy a valve or two to get it to work.

There are also several ways to do it. Some good, some not so good.

If you don't know open center hyd system's theory of operation, you may want to look into it.

Last edited:

idbankrman

The M935A2 truck( Expansible van with lift platform) has a lift platform at the back. Maybe the hydraulic controls it uses could be adapted to your purpose if you can find the control valve parts

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two ways to go about this. Either change out the single spool valve for a 2 spool or add a selector valve to send fluid to the winch valve or another valve that will operate the dump.

Ddmk18

You could always go the route I plan on going. Using a Series hydraulic manifold with 24 volt solenoids and just get a manifold block with the number of stations on it that you plan on using. Then you can control everything from a switch or remote control.

74M35A2

You could always go the route I plan on going. Using a Series hydraulic manifold with 24 volt solenoids and just get a manifold block with the number of stations on it that you plan on using. Then you can control everything from a switch or remote control.
In theory, yes, but D05 solenoid valves in series is not really rated to handle the 25GPM max flow created. The better way is to use a parallel manifold with a pressure relief and dump valve that is energized off each solenoid. I am also looking to do the same (switch over to solenoid valves), to add dump hydros, rear hyd winch, and aux hyd connections. Looks like about $1000 in parts to do it though. Manifold $400, each valve about $150.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could go with air operated valves to save a little money. Just buy a remote valve with as many spools as you need and put air cylinders on the spool. Air cylinders can be bought dirt cheap at various places on the web.

This is how my dump valve on my deuce is set up. There is a thread around here somewhere with pics, I'll see if I can find it.

bluehorse

Did anyone get this done? Looking to add a rear hydraulic winch to my M925 and also some other rear of truck hydraulic items. Pictures of anything?

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are other threads that are a bit more complete. Someone will post up, it's not too bad.

Basically as stated, you have the choice of replacing the one section valve with a two section valve or going to the a and b ports and using a 2 position selector valve. I think they make them in 24vdc but haven't bought one myself.

Have you looked at the space you are working in? Yuk.

74M35A2

I am also totally on board with the rear hydro winch. Bought one, have not installed yet. Will do once dump hoist goes on. Plan to trash the mechanical spool valve in exchange for 24vdc solenoid valves so I can stand out front of the truck and wind the winch up myself, rather than it being a 2 person deal where you can’t see the ground guy. I think that is a little unsafe, personal opinion.

I hope to have solenoid controls for front winch, rear winch, dump bed, aux (ports at rear) likely trailer dump, and spare. 5 space manifold block, D05 electric valves. 1800psi relief on hoist circuits, higher on others.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also totally on board with the rear hydro winch. Bought one, have not installed yet. Will do once dump hoist goes on. Plan to trash the mechanical spool valve in exchange for 24vdc solenoid valves so I can stand out front of the truck and wind the winch up myself, rather than it being a 2 person deal where you can’t see the ground guy. I think that is a little unsafe, personal opinion.

I hope to have solenoid controls for front winch, rear winch, dump bed, aux (ports at rear) likely trailer dump, and spare. 5 space manifold block, D05 electric valves. 1800psi relief on hoist circuits, higher on others.
Be sure and post some part numbers for your block and valves. I have several blocks for D03 and D05 and 24vdc valves but I have never seen 5 circuits (even with some blocked) that will work with an open center system. Not saying they don't exist, just that I have not worked with them on industrial modular valve systems.

I'm going to a closed center pressure compensated system to do what you are planning, so do want to see an alternative. I know some sectionals are available that have free flow in the neutral position too, my crane truck has one (actually 6 section).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks