• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

V-100 Crew Member Vietnam 71-72

B3.3T

Rory,

Due to the linkage involved, shifting the V-100 is not as easy as a truck, but is no big deal, either. There is a certain amount of play. But properly greased, adjusted, and maintained (good bushings), it is no problem. We have improved it further by using modern Heim bearings, too. I have been driving them for 12 years and from the beginning, no problem.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, thanks. I had rather figured any difficulties would be from the long shafts between the shifter and the transmission itself. The shifter in mine is all put back together and re-installed, but other stuff had been pulled out again (like the radiator), so I still haven't driven it. I'm getting there though!

Cheers

Edit- as of 4-1-10 all the engine stuff is back in and I have now driven the V!! Very exciting indeed. It will still take quite a bit of tinkering with the linkage to get it adjusted to shift properly, but it does drive.

Last edited:

V-100 Commando

Small World

Since the last time I posted a lot has happened. Retired, moved, bought a house in the country with terrible internet service my old computer couldn't handle ,so I've been off line for a while. Finally got a new computer this week (still slow as heck) but it will handle the site.
Anyhow- what a nice surprise to find my old buddy Rich discovered the site and posted. I took over from him as the gunner on Catch 22 and he went stateside shortly after. I've sent him a message and am really looking forward to his response and pictures. Can't thank this site enough for the service they provide. I see that everybody's projects are rolling along nicely. Good to be back.
Jeff

hardride

Happy New Year folks.
Been busy looking for work here in SoCal. Still looking.
I did get some V100 kits for Christmas, have to make the time to build them.
Looking forward to more of your pics to inspire me to get them done right.

Stalwart

No history on the "V Rat" it was in vinyl, so it most likely somebody's idea in the last 20-30 years. Still cool, it'll probably be recreated after we have finished the restoration. My V's restoration will be one of the easiest, it was completely unmolested, running and driving and quite complete. I do miss my old M42A1 Duster I traded for it, but moving such a heavy and wide hunk of iron was a problem.

B3.3T

Regarding 1:35 scale V-100 models, in case folks are not aware, Squadron Products offers a great V-100 decal set that includes Catch 22, War Wagon, Pig Power, The Vulture and others. Set #MS350001

Driver523

Here is a photo I just copied off the Vietnam gun truck site, It was posted by Edd Pavlic, I believe it was taken outside the MP barracks in Phu Tai------I can't read the names cept there is that Proud Mary II again-------------Driver

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome back Jeff!
My project is still struggling along at the rate of a speeding glacier, but I am getting there. Soon!

Driver, far left is "Unexpected", second from right is "The Grim Reaper". There are some decent individual pictures of those two in post 35 on this thread.

Still haven't figured out the name second from left.

Cheers

Last edited:

Driver523

Is that V-100 Commando still around Here?---Jeff Houghton posted this video over on the gun truck sight---It says Long Binh---But at 48 seconds you'll see the Ace and Born Loser, and you may even see someone you may know on those Vs------ at Camp Evans--71
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnCh3lZbaU Them ole gun truckers over on the gun truck site still got good eyes----------Thanks Jeff------------Driver

ken66

OK guys, I just got back on after being gone for a few days. Some great pics and great info on this thread. I have a couple of things to add.

1) I believe it was on page 6 there are two photos of V-100 Flash. That is me driving in the first pic. Flash was my V and my other two crew members were JJ Meade, Crew Chief and Frank Servidio. Both of them were wounded on July 1, 1970 when Flash hit a mine on QL 1 on a convoy to Tuy Hoa. PFC Paul Tharp was the gunner that day and was killed. I had been gone on R&R two days and Tharp was taking my place.

2) That is Flash back in the company area after being hit. Look at my album and there are other pics of Flash.

Somebody ask about a theme for the nose art. The 66th MP Company, Phu Tai (my unit) used the Marvel Super Hero theme for most of our V's. We also had the Lemon (also in this thread), Road Hog. Barbarian also in this thread. We had 11 total V's. It cost us 2 cases of C rations to get the nose painted by an old Papa San in the village.

I hope this helps some.

Here's a picture of my friend Charlie McKellick from Levittown Pa. after he cut off the end of his thumb while we were mounting a new run flat tire on "Woodstock". That's Paul Mueller from Morton Grove Ill. and Charles "Chic" Daniel from Torrance Ca. (now retired LAPD Detective), I can't remember the Sgt. name- making fun of him.
We had the good fortune to have the Phu Bai airport right behind our MP compound and when we needed tires/parts/motors, we could "intercept" shipments at night before they headed to their rightful owners up north of us (sorry about that Quan Tre V-100s). We were stupid enough to dismount/mount those run flat tires ourselves without an inflation cage. Four or five of us would take off the old one with pry bars and then put the new one on. That's where Charlie lost the thumb when we dropped the new one on the rim with his thumb still on the bead. We would attach a long airhose on it and run behind the sandbags while it inflated waiting for the explosion. None of them ever did, but looking back, studipity can be painful.
Another note on the run flats- the V could do about 65-70 MPH, but... when you had them loaded down like we did, huge amounts of 50 & 60 ammo, m79 grenades w/launchers, LAWS, hand gernades, tools, C-rations, radios, and a bunch of other junk we probably didn't need,- those tires were like huge coil springs. Once it got to bouncing at that speed it was like a bucking bronco for a very eye opening experience. Kids don't try that at home.
Jeff
we sure dont look like that anymore... paul w mueller

sgtbak117

I was stationed with the 101st AB at Camp Eagle in 71-72..one of our V-100"s was named Captain America and had "irish powered" on the turret. When the 101st stood down in 72 we transported the V to the 716 MP's in Saigon. Anyone have any pics of the V or served with me at Eagle?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are Captain America and Captain America II, (pic 1 and 2 are the same machine) was either of these yours? All are reportedly from 1971, the info in the captions is what was associated with them on the internet.

Cheers

Attachments

Rickv100

I just read the whole thread. Jeff provided some of the photos seen in the Osprey V100 book.

Rick Lathrop

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks