• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VA Hospital in Lyons, NJ, November 9, 1 - 4 p.m.

SteveKuhn

My friend Mike called, asking for any interested MV owners to join him at the VA Hospital in Lyons, NJ, for his annual Veteran’s Country Dance Show on Sunday, November 9[SUP]th[/SUP] from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. I’m passing along the invitation to you.

Mike puts on a very resident-centric afternoon. He coordinates everything with the hospital including dietary restrictions; solicits donations to purchase hot dogs, cake and coffee, etc. for the event; hires a dj, country band and dancers; finds volunteers to help out; and sets up a 1[SUP]st[/SUP] floor buffet and also serves residents on the more restricted floors who can’t come down to the main floor for the buffet line. He’s been doing it for 19 years and would really like to find someone to whom he can pass the torch. But for now . . .

I did this 2 years ago with him. It’s an enjoyable, very informal affair for the vehicle owners – just park outside the main building for a few hours and speak with passers-by who show interest or ask questions. They could be residents or visitors. Take a pass or two at the food tables; watch the music and dancing; repeat.

The year I did it, we fired up the Deuce about every 45 minutes and took a low-range cruise around the campus roads past other buildings. Quite a few times we’d pass either residents on a stroll or sitting with attendants on the patios. Any number of times we stopped to shake hands, say that we were there to remember them and say, “Thanks” on Veteran’s Day weekend. More often than not we’d hear a couple stories about how the truck brought back either good or bad memories. The one of the trip from PA to NC riding the troop seats was a particularly painful one.

If I’m back on the road, I’ll do it this year, too. Regardless, if you’re available from 1 - 4 that day, Mike would love to have you. I’ve agreed to act as a preliminary contact point for anyone else who might be interested.

It’s held at: VA New Jersey Healthcare System-Lyons, 151 Knollcroft Rd, Lyons, NJ 07939

Thanks.

Steve

Attachments

mydingo

Anyone else coming..? Looks like 40 mile drive from Easton-Phillipsburg area. Would be nice to do a small convoy down rt 78 to the event.
Thanks,

Glenn

SteveKuhn

I've been making some 1:1 phone calls and have 2 friends who are going to try to make it. No confirmations yet, however.

Still trying for more and know that there's room for more. Thanks again to mydingo for stepping up.

Steve

mydingo

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI had a great day at the Lyons VA hospital today. It was the perfect place to say thank you to our veterans! I ate more hot dogs then I'd like to admit, met some interesting people and heard some great stories. Thanks Steve for starting this thread... Hope I'm invited again next year!

SteveKuhn

I see you took my parking place! Your truck looks great. Thanks for making the event and for bringing back photos.

I stopped by to see Mike before he shoved off and he looked like he was dressed for the occasion. I'm sure that if he does it again next year, you'll be on the invitee list.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks