• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vaccuum modulator adjustments/ hose replacement?

KiefOlsen92

the vaccuum modulator hose is off but i think i can ziptie it on the vaccuum modulator.. should I? or should i just get a new hose, if so what kind and also my transmission shifts real hard so should i adjust it to make it shift earlier or later? thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are just talking about the rubber nipple on the metal tubing correct?

Should be 5/32" vacuum tubing. Any parts house will have it. Maybe 7/32" I haven't replaced any in awhile.

The portion from the vacuum pump to the Vacuum Valve is 1/4" and about 14" long.

Then there is a short piece from the valve back to a metal tube that goes down to the transmission.

All of this is covered in the Tech manual. You have downloaded them haven't you...;-)

Keith_J

There are a few different sizes from the vacuum pump to the bottom fitting. Also a tee and cap. Check these carefully, there must be at least 18" Hg at the modulator. Any leak will be a problem.

I would pull the vacuum lines off and get exact replacements from your local auto parts store.

Remember, TOP fitting on the modulator goes to the Transmission. T to T, easy mnemonic. That rectangular block is only there to make it idiot proof.

The vacuum regulators can fail, either hard or soft shift. Hook a vacuum gauge to the top fitting and run the engine. Should be 18" at idle and dropping off with a quick stab on the accelerator. If not, replace and adjust per the thread listed above.

KiefOlsen92

Okay Im gonna start the replacement tomorrow.

When I press the accelerator at certain speeds like 25mph, it just rev`s the engine and doesnt speed up until I hammer the gas. Is this due to the vaccuum modulator?

Keith_J

Could be. The best test is a vacuum gauge on the top hose. The vacuum should drop uniformly as the throttle is pressed.

Nearly impossible to clean/repair, replacements are $65+

Keith_J

Can I buy any vaccuum gauge or do I need a special one?

Any automotive vacuum gauge is fine, measuring from 0 to 20" Hg is adequate. 8" is the crucial point, most are very close in this part of the range.

Most will also measure positive pressure, this is fine.

MarcusOReallyus

General rules for fixing things:

1. First, fix what's obviously broken. (Hoses, in this case.)
  2. Then test.
  3. Then adjust. (If needed.)

Don't think about adjusting anything until you've fixed what's broken, and tested to make sure everything else is working correctly.

If you start adjusting while things are broken, best case, you'll get things adjusted incorrectly and have to readjust once things are fixed.

Worst case, you'll mask a problem and think things are fine when they're not, and you might wind up breaking something because of it.

:beer:

KiefOlsen92

I got a new 2inch rubber hose, shifts nice accelerates how it should. thanks... However, on an unrelated topic...
My Wranglers transmission seal finally went and has been drippin probably gonna permatex it until I get the Ax-15. maybe its jealous haha
thanks for the help guys

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A Very Wise Man on Here once said "If it's Electrical Clean it, If it's Rubber Replace it"

And to follow that advice, will make you wise, as well.