• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vacuum Pump Static Test

sochuck

I was wondering, being that the vacuum pump is a diaphragm style air pump, under a vacuum should the pump hold a vacuum when applied. In the processes of chasing down some shifting issues I wanted to test the pumps ability to operate. When operating the psi runs 2-12", If I am not mistaken I believe that it should be around 20" at idle. SOOOOOOO, I hooked a mitey vac to the pump and took it to 15". The pump failed to hold that pressure. FYI I tested the rest of the line track and was all components and associated lines were able to maintain 15" of vac. So am I sucking wind, should the pump maintain a vacuum.

Cheers

Skinny

It is a diaphragm so you may have issues vacuum testing it unless you catch it in the correct spot.

Your best bet is just go with the vacuum reading it produces while running.

Keith_J

Disconnect the line from the pump and hook it to a gauge while idling, should maintain 18" of Hg. Likewise, with it hooked to the transmission vacuum valve on the injection pump, test with a tee in the line for the gauge.