• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vacuum Wipers

ken mcculloch

Does anybody run an auxiliary electric vacuum pump to power their wipers so you don’t go through the issues of low/high vacuum during acceleration/deceleration?

If you have, what did you use? I’m not sure how much vacuum is required for a “normal” wiper speed.

I came across a few different pumps…

http://www.amazon.com/APDTY-015325-...SKO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/182-8737046-8232704

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10398

Both units say they will provide Vacuum Up To 16 Hg. Is that enough? Too much?

Thanks, Ken

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't take much vacuum to run the wiper motors , you could also try adding a vacuum reservoir , helps to even out the vacuum supply. why not go for the electric wiper motor route ? I think in the long run that would be easier . BTW , even when they are WORKING perfect , the wiper operation is pretty poor .

pwrwagonfire

Doesn't take much vacuum to run the wiper motors , you could also try adding a vacuum reservoir , helps to even out the vacuum supply. why not go for the electric wiper motor route ? I think in the long run that would be easier . BTW , even when they are WORKING perfect , the wiper operation is pretty poor .

This was my thought...I plan on converting my vacuum wipers to electric motors eventually.

o1951

Ya mean you don't like them going so fast you think they are going to fly off going down hills with the throttle closed, and barely moving going up hills at almost WOT?

o1951

I am old guy what seen most everything on this. They used to make a dual diaphragm fuel pump with the top for the wipers. Theory was when manifold vac was low, you were pumping lots of fuel, so use top of fuel pump to make vacuum. It hardly helped at all. Used to stay in a lower gear going up hills to keep engine revs up so the wipers would run. In hard rain, let foot off gas every so often so they would speed up so you could see. Mechanics used to run ATF thru the wiper motors and lubricate everything to minimize friction and get all out of them you could. My opinion - if you are going to run it on the road much, convert to electric. Much safer.