• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Value of GovPlanet inspection reports

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Probably need to change the title of this forum).

Last week we picked up a running M931 and M931A1 from GP's storage yard in Brooklyn, MS. Reading GP inspections of both trucks gave the impression that you could just jump start the trucks and drive away. It's not so much what is in the inspection report, but what they omit that you have to be concerned with.

The inspection report for the M931 gave all 3 green stars, everything fully functional except the heater didn't work. It ran, drove and stopped as normal.

The inspection report for the M931A1 noted broken glass, some gauges not working, and transmission oil low (it didn't even reach the dipstick, and we had to add about 2 gallons). Everything else was 3 green stars.

What we found:

All 17 tires were low - 15 psi in the G177 instead of 50 and 70 psi, and about 30psi in the 1400's except that one was FLAT. The flat tire was not flat in the photos.

The M931 could not get above 30 psi with two other trucks adding air at the glad hands. Could not get the transfer case out of high range with 0 psi or 30 psi.

The M931A1 oil was low - it didn't even reach the dipstick, and we had to add about a gallon. The cooling system was empty, and when we added about 10 gallons of water, we found that the drain petcock was left open. No telling how long they ran the engine with no coolant and low on oil. The engine now has a nice blue exhaust.

Even though I was hoping for better, I only bid slightly above scrap price so I won't suffer, and it's not worth the hassle of contesting the sale. I'm just reporting this so folks will be able to make better decisions interpreting the GP inspection reports. Caveat emptor

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I've gathered and seen, the GP people have a tablet and app they go by with little room for commentary. Simply the 1-5 star system for each category we see on their site and maybe some room at the end of each section or if a 1 or 2 star mark is made then commentary is allowed (speculation on the last part). The star system is totally based on the experience and evaluation of the person giving them and I doubt would ever match up to what I'd give. I'm glad you got a decent price on them, I'm sure many buyers out there have been stung by this process with the crazy prices that have been tossed around.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good friend of mine bought a excavator from IP a year or so back. I don't remember all the details but it had some major electrical problems and the inspection report said all was good. He filed a claim and they just told him to take it to the nearest Deere dealer and they would take care of it. When it was all said and done, the dealer fixed it for $2,000 and IP paid the claim. I think there was a deductible though.

I'd file and claim and see what they say. You really have nothing to loose other than a little time. You would also be a good guinea pig to let us know how good the Iron Clad Assurance is.

pmramsey

GovPlanet...Bought a M923A1 out of Chambersburg, PA last month for $5400. Clean with low time and hours.It was advertised as having a turbo. I bid anyway. Sure enough there was no turbo when it was picked up. I pointed out the listing error and they offered $1500 compensation. duh! I took it and the whole transaction took only ten days to receive my $1500. No I do not want to sell the truck. It is already pushing snow this winter. It is paying for itself as I write this.

tractors0130

GovPlanet...Bought a M923A1 out of Chambersburg, PA last month for $5400. Clean with low time and hours.It was advertised as having a turbo. I bid anyway. Sure enough there was no turbo when it was picked up. I pointed out the listing error and they offered $1500 compensation. duh! I took it and the whole transaction took only ten days to receive my $1500. No I do not want to sell the truck. It is already pushing snow this winter. It is paying for itself as I write this.
I've never seen the M939A1's with the NHC-250 Cummins come with a turbo unless someone added one. They must have been doing alot of "copy and paste" and missed that in their listing.
If they are going to start paying for obvious listing errors, I'll have to watch closer.

pmramsey

I've never seen the M939A1's with the NHC-250 Cummins come with a turbo unless someone added one. They must have been doing alot of "copy and paste" and missed that in their listing.
If they are going to start paying for obvious listing errors, I'll have to watch closer.
I believe that most of us here know that a 923A1 does not come with a turbo and I certainly bid on it knowing the listing had to be incorrect. I only mentioned the incorrect listing trying to be "helpful" to the new company. The moral of this story Mr. Moderator is Yes, there is one way or the other, Value in the GovPlanet inspection reports. More importantly, the new guys are willing to bend over backwards if and when they screw up.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't they have some kind of a guarantee in what they report?? Did you contest it?
They guarantee what they have in the report, which includes all the photos. They don't guarantee what they omit from their report or photos. For example, for the 30psi truck, there was one photo showing that on the guages, however, every truck has 30 psi on the guage as it airs up the first time. They didn't report that it didn't get above 30 psi.

I am considering complaining that they ran the M931A1 truck for an undetermined period with no coolant in the system, and now the truck is burning oil in the exhaust. The report stated minor blowby at idle, but I haven't checked if that is worse now that the engine was possibly overheated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks