• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve Adjustment? Do the CUCV 6.2L require a valve adjustment?

MuddWeiser

Curious if the CUCV 6.2L diesels need valve adjustments at certain intervals?

My truck has 119k miles. Its always been sluggish but lately I noticed that the exhaust pressure coming out of the passenger side feels STRONGER than that coming out of the driver side?

3dubs

There is nothing to adjust. Be sure to use a fuel addative to clean the valves. I like Lucas it works on gas and diesel engines. Carbon build up prevents the valves from seating properly reducing compression. Carbon can also prevent the rings from sealing lowering compression. A fuel additive in the tank every thousand miles or so is second to changing oil in making the engine last longer.

MuddWeiser

Resurrecting dead thread for a 2nd opinion...

Just want to make sure I understand...

So the 6.2L J series does NOT have adjustable valves? Im getting ready to do a compression test and in the prerequisite section it talks about making sure the valves are adjusted to ensure proper readings are acquired during the compression test.

Barrman

Hydraulic lifters. Once they are set during build, they are set. Now, if yours are clattering away, then maybe they have worked loose, but a bent push rod would probably let you know that happened before the noise.

Barrman

I don't get it Westech? My answer was short, but factual. The 6.2 uses roller tipped hydraulic lifters. The rocker arms are on a shaft that is held down by a few bolts. That means there is no adjustment of any kind for the valves. They only way the valves could not be working is if the rocker shaft is coming loose or a lifter has failed. The shaft coming loose would show itself with a bent push rod sooner or later and the bad lifter would probably have a pushrod bouncing around too. How is this bad tech?

Westech

CPL
I ment this site is turning in to a repair manual. The 6.2 is civy stuff. Info can be found just about any place. Its like no one Googles, searches, looks at a TM or Chilton, they just post and post and post and post. I never said your answer was poo... it was a good answer.

Barrman

Sorry about that then. I look at Chiltons as just a step above Marvel Comics when it comes to actually helping repair a vehicle. I figured since you are an experience mechanic type you would have the same opinion and took that as a critique on my post. All good.

Barrman

I love the Ps comics with Connie. They are very helpfull diagnostic tools. That is why I specified Marvel in the post above because super heroes don't work on MV's. They also don't look as good as Connie.

Wolf.Dose

First, as said indirectly before, the valves are fited with hydo lifter caps, so they do not need any adjustment, if the basic setting is done correctly.
sSond will be no carbon setting on the intake valves for it is a DIESEL engine.
Third if you look for help for engine repair beside the Army , check for Haynes Repair Manuals, for ex. #24064. This covers chev trucks from 1967 to 1987, and Heynes Diesel Repair manual, # 1736, covers GM Diesels from 5.7 l to 6.2 and 6.9 and 7.3 l Ford Diesels.
These books are very helpfull.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks