• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

valve adustment signs and symptoms

russ132

Hi all,

I was hoping to find out how the need for a valve adjustment would show itself. What symptoms would my deuce show? Thank you all for any information.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a smith corona typewriter, If they are out of adjustment too bad, it can smoke lots, not be so smooth at idle, just sounds kinda ratty. After a correct adjustment, you'll notice better power, better mileage...like THAT matters :roll:, better throttle response and it'll just sound better.

Westex

I've been curious about this also; where do you get a fresh gasket for the cover(s)? Or do you just make 'em up with RTV gasket maker.

russ132

Thank you all for the info. I have been having a little more drool out of the slobber tube but other than that I haven't had any problems. Still runs great. More than anything I am just curious if I should adjust the valves or not. Probly would not hurt. I can hear the valves rattling around but I am unsure if it is excessive or just the norm. Thanks again.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have not ever done them I certainly would. Your gonna need a helper to get the timing lined up, but not too hard of a job. The timing info is in the LDS troubleshooting manual.

Srjeeper

The reason for a bit more slober could be due to lower air temps, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

There's plenty of posts on here about doing the adjustment...or simply follow the proceedure in the TM and you'll have it done in no time. I do mine about every two years and there's very little if any change between adjustments. As a rule it only takes about 1/2 hr. 45 min. and you always do them cold.

When you put the new gaskets on, smear them up with Diaelectric grease and they'll never stick, you'll be able to reuse them for years to come as long as you don't crush em.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks