• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Valve stems

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I found these photos from patracy's install thread on Recentered HEMTT wheels. A member by the name of "KBarrell" welded these wheels and included those valve stems with the wheels. I dropped him a PM searching for some more info on them but it appears he has not been active in over two months. If anyone recognizes them please feel free to chime in

View attachment 447871View attachment 447872View attachment 447870

Sorry I'm not sure if Keith is still around the forum or not. That said, I got your PM. I pick up valve stems from a local mom and pop parts shop in the next town over. NAPA or anyone that deals with semi trucks/logging equipment can help with the valve stems. I unfortunately don't have a part number.

peashooter

So did anyone end up finding a common (non 5 ton) type replacement valve stem for these FMTV wheels in the standard (not Large bore) size? I like Treeguy's way of making the existing ones work, but sometimes the existing ones need to be replaced for various reasons so an "off the shelf" replacement would be nice as well.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have started swapping over to Haltec Large-Bore valve stems...the large bores air up & down sooooo much quicker! I installed a quick-disconnect fitting on the large-bore air chuck so I can use it on any of my air compressor outlets, and it works much better than standard size Schraeder valves.

See my posting at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-replacement&p=1420836&viewfull=1#post1420836 for more info. These turret valves work great with FMTV & HEMTT wheels, but stick out a little on MRAP wheels. I have a mix of all 3 wheels, and use this same turret valve on all 3 with great success.

The only issue I see is if you have a truck that doesn't have flipped rear hubs...accessing the valve stems can be a PITA since they face inboard, but either valve stem extenders or rotating the valve stem itself outboard would help in this case. However, if you rotate the valve stem/turret valve, then the tire must be de-mounted to remove the valve stem/turret valve in order to rotate it outboard, and then that makes that tire/wheel combo restricted to rear wheel use only (unless you don't mind crawling under the front of your truck if you use it on a front wheel). Erik's sells a dual-outlet turret valve with standard-size Schraeders that would work in this instance (http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rimvastas12v.html).