• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"VAMPIRE" STRUCK MY HMMWV

Inspector 1

I confirmed that my transmission fluid was entering the Transfer Case. When I removed the Transfer Case fill plug you can see from the picture all the transmission fluid that came out. I ended up disconnecting the transmission lines from the transfer case and looped the two lines together. I capped the two transfer case lines. I also replaced the rear Gear Hub vent line. Problem solved. Here are some pics of the job start to finish.TC 1.jpgTC 2.jpgTC 3.jpg

Attachments

papakb

Your fix is only a temporary one because you need cooling to the T-case. Eventually you're going to have to open it up and replace the cooling loop. Look for the newer style where the feedthru couplings are part of the same fitting rather than the old one where the fittings can rotate where they pass thru the case.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Your fix is only a temporary one because you need cooling to the T-case. Eventually you're going to have to open it up and replace the cooling loop. Look for the newer style where the feedthru couplings are part of the same fitting rather than the old one where the fittings can rotate where they pass thru the case.
I’m curious coming from building high horse 5.9s in dodges, why does the HMMWV have to have cooling in the case? Is it due to being tucked up high with minimal air flow? Is it because it’s mission profile is predominantly offroad? I’m not questioning your knowledge, I’m just wanting to learn more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m curious coming from building high horse 5.9s in dodges, why does the HMMWV have to have cooling in the case? Is it due to being tucked up high with minimal air flow? Is it because it’s mission profile is predominantly offroad? I’m not questioning your knowledge, I’m just wanting to learn more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cooling loop is not really needed. It may have some utility in sustained operation under high loads in desert conditions, but your tcase is unlikely to overheat with it bypassed.

I probably wouldn't pull the tcase apart just to replace the cooling loop. Even though the cooling loop is certainly a desirable feature.

Inspector 1

Thanks for the information. I currently have the 218 transfer case. I was told to upgrade to the 242 Transfer Case. The upgrade seems like a lot of work to include new drive shafts as well as costly. Would you happen to have a pic or a part # for the cooling loop that you are speaking of? Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks