• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Various M880 Questions

kg5252

Hi everyone. I have a few questions concerning my M880. Do any of you guys run some sort of fuel stabilizer through your 318's? This truck is my only vehicle and my daily driver, so I want it to last as long as possible. I guess modern gasoline is quite as good as it once was. I don't quite know because I am 16 and wasn't around back in that time. Also, I am having trouble trying to get my spare tire secured. When I went to put it into place it would not fit properly and was touching the exhaust pipe. It looks like a previous owner did some sort of hack job with forming the pipe, as it also looks low to the ground. If anyone could show me some pictures of the proper spare tire setup, it would be much appreciated. I have what looks to be the hardware for suspending it. One more question I had was if someone could verify if my truck has 1 1/4 leaf springs in the rear. It seems to me that some of them may have been removed at one point because the stack seems thin. Thanks.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be able to check this weekend.

As far as the spare. I'd seriously consider an alternative mounting point. I'm planning on putting mine in the bed.

(I can't see the pics at work, will check at home)

WVCB

I have a W200, the 3/4 ton civilian version of the M880. Mine has 6 leaves in the rear springs, like yours. I'm with bikeman; I never liked the underbed spare mount. Hard to access and tend to rust in place. I have my spare mounted in the bed, bolted to the frame rail.

Here are photos of my rear springs for my M882. It looks like 6 on the left side and 7 on the right, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, it doesn't look too much different from what you have on your truck - at least what it appears to show in your pictures. Why do you think you might be missing some leaves?

I don't have my spare mounted under the bed. I have my spare mounted in the box on the left side with a clamp and bolt through the lip at the top of the box. It is very study and has never gotten loose and yet it keeps the spare clean and handy if needed. I would recommend you mount your spare in a similar fashion.

The gasoline that is available now isn't as good as the stuff we could get out of the pumps in the 1970s. The ethanol mixed into the blend sees to that. If you can find a station that sells ethanol free gasoline, it would be worth using that if you can. If you can't find any stations that sell ethanol free gas near you (which will likely be the case), then the blended gas will work. Just make sure you buy only the gas that has only 10 - 15% ethanol with the gas.Do not use the E85 blend. The ethanol at that concentration is harmful to the rubber parts in your fuel system and will cause expensive damage. (Rubber hoses,. fuel pump diaphragms, rubber accelerator pump diaphragm, etc.)

I don't use fuel stabilizer in my fuel, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything if you did. The Chrysler 318 is a sturdy engine.It would be a good idea to use fuel stabilizer if you were to put the truck in storage for a while to keep the gas from going bad, but if you're driving the truck on a daily basis, it most likely won't be needed.

Attachments

kg5252

Great, thanks for the responses. I am fairly certain that someone pulled a few of the springs off the front because the ones that are still there have a slight downward bow to them. This also makes the entire truck have a forward lean to it.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

WVCB

Negative arch on the front springs is normal for these trucks, as is a bit of sag after 40 years of use. What's the condition of the body mounts? When I got my truck, the two up front were completely gone, which made it look lower in the front. New mounts leveled it out pretty good.

*lawrence*

M880

My last unit in the Guard ran M880's into the 80's. Everyone pinged because the 318 engine in them were designed for leaded gas and we used unleaded. Yours should be the same unless someone rebuilt the motor and changed the valve seats. I have not checked for years now, but there used to be lead substitute you could get at the parts stores.

Hi everyone. I have a few questions concerning my M880. Do any of you guys run some sort of fuel stabilizer through your 318's? This truck is my only vehicle and my daily driver, so I want it to last as long as possible. I guess modern gasoline is quite as good as it once was. I don't quite know because I am 16 and wasn't around back in that time. Also, I am having trouble trying to get my spare tire secured. When I went to put it into place it would not fit properly and was touching the exhaust pipe. It looks like a previous owner did some sort of hack job with forming the pipe, as it also looks low to the ground. If anyone could show me some pictures of the proper spare tire setup, it would be much appreciated. I have what looks to be the hardware for suspending it. One more question I had was if someone could verify if my truck has 1 1/4 leaf springs in the rear. It seems to me that some of them may have been removed at one point because the stack seems thin. Thanks.

kg5252

Here are photos of my rear springs for my M882. It looks like 6 on the left side and 7 on the right, but I could be mistaken. At any rate, it doesn't look too much different from what you have on your truck - at least what it appears to show in your pictures. Why do you think you might be missing some leaves?

I don't have my spare mounted under the bed. I have my spare mounted in the box on the left side with a clamp and bolt through the lip at the top of the box. It is very study and has never gotten loose and yet it keeps the spare clean and handy if needed. I would recommend you mount your spare in a similar fashion.

The gasoline that is available now isn't as good as the stuff we could get out of the pumps in the 1970s. The ethanol mixed into the blend sees to that. If you can find a station that sells ethanol free gasoline, it would be worth using that if you can. If you can't find any stations that sell ethanol free gas near you (which will likely be the case), then the blended gas will work. Just make sure you buy only the gas that has only 10 - 15% ethanol with the gas.Do not use the E85 blend. The ethanol at that concentration is harmful to the rubber parts in your fuel system and will cause expensive damage. (Rubber hoses,. fuel pump diaphragms, rubber accelerator pump diaphragm, etc.)

I don't use fuel stabilizer in my fuel, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything if you did. The Chrysler 318 is a sturdy engine.It would be a good idea to use fuel stabilizer if you were to put the truck in storage for a while to keep the gas from going bad, but if you're driving the truck on a daily basis, it most likely won't be needed.
I will try this method with my spare. It does seem to be a better and more efficient way.

kg5252

Negative arch on the front springs is normal for these trucks, as is a bit of sag after 40 years of use. What's the condition of the body mounts? When I got my truck, the two up front were completely gone, which made it look lower in the front. New mounts leveled it out pretty good.
The mounts seem to be in decent shape. I am no expert, but as far as I can tell they are not dry or cracking.

michigandon

My last unit in the Guard ran M880's into the 80's. Everyone pinged because the 318 engine in them were designed for leaded gas and we used unleaded. Yours should be the same unless someone rebuilt the motor and changed the valve seats. I have not checked for years now, but there used to be lead substitute you could get at the parts stores.
Incorrect.

Hardened valve seats were as common as wheels by 1976/77. The LA318s in these trucks were standard OTS units with the smog equipment removed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks