• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vector Hurricane 8lug Aluminium Wheels

Whitfield

Anyone else running a set?

BUT if they are good enough for Chuck Norris :patracy:

norris van.jpg

Seriously, I bought the set local for less then I can buy spacers for / or ship the hummer wheels. Love the H1 bead lock look but not crazy about the extra weight. Hopefully these 70's classics don't throw me off the clift into the Chrome Smoke Stack crowd. Maybe I can dress them up for the party with some 383 green.

hurricane wheel.jpg

1StumpJumper

Not on a CUCV, but had a set on a Jeep Commando. They used a lug nut that centered inside the stud bore instead of a conical nut. My holes were just a tad oversized and I never did find lug nuts that could get the rims to center right on the lugs. Just something to look at. Were it not for that issue, I would have looked for a set for the M1008.

Whitfield

Shopping for lug nuts now. Only available in CHROME aua

Doorman and McGuard look like the only option. The better made in USA McGuard (Part No. 62822) lug nuts will cost me as much as the wheels even with almost 50% off thru Amazon. Retail is 71.96 for 8 + shipping. Hopefully centering is not an issue ~ Otherwise Hub centric centering rings + truing the hubs & Wheels on the lathe might be in order.

Thread Size: 9/16"-18

Finish: Chrome

Hex Size: 7/8"

Overall Length: 2.425"

Seat/Style: Shank Seat Nut

Shank Diameter: 0.679"

Shank Length: 1.00"

Last edited:

rickf

Regular lug nuts will not get enough thread to hold and even if they do the hole is too big, not tapered and too soft. Those lug nuts are what centers the wheel and takes the load. What you are talking about doing will work in theory on an unloaded truck but if you put any weight on that setup it could fail since the center was not designed to carry the weight.

Whitfield

I understand ~ I've used this style wheel for 25 yrs just my first time with an 8-lug and my last set in 1991 came with the mag wheel lug nuts.

I've never had an issue centering other Hurricane style Mag wheels but as these wheels approach 30 yrs old you never know what battle scars will show up. I have not seen lug bore issues on these wheels but I'm prepared to correct them if they arise. The hub centric centering rings are plastic and would not be effective at carrying weight ~ just used to center it before you clamp it down. I also could have my machinist make / install inserts if necessary but unless I do multiple sets it could be cost prohibitive.

Last edited:

Whitfield

Before

After Soda Blasting ( 24 Lbs / arm & hammer baking soda) thru simple unmodified speed pro 5 gal sand blaster. Mainly concentrated on the machined surfaces. Acid etching should take care of the cast parts.

After sanding with 200 grit and 400 grit.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks