• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle Code legal...?

wadereg

come into newport news, va w/ an mv and i will pull you...i cant stand the fact that one would drive an mv through the city i work in w/o stopping and showing it to me. so be aware if your even slightly MVish im going to find probable cause (ei; improper lane change, hanging object from mirror :twisted: ) to stop and question you about your truck.

YOU BETTER RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!

If your vehicle has antique you may not need to get inspected but it needs to be in top mechanical condition. Pretty much if you were to have it inspected it would need to pass...dont make the road unsafe. the MV community would not be happy to hear about someone running over a mini van with a MV due mechanical failure that could have been prevented with a little pm. immediatly everyone would believe these historical trucks need to be history. 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Vehicle Code legal...?

ida34 said:
That great. Get a stolen inspection sticker and see how long it takes before your vehicle is impounded and you have more scrutiny then you want. They have a serial number for a reason.
They aren't stolen ( I didn't say they were, you did). They are ordered from a reptable company that legal forms for industry. Our company owns several trucks and are allowed to fill out our own inspection sticker. Every company in our area ( that I know of) that has trucks does the same. You just have to have all your paperwork in order. It's the federal inspection that I'm talking about. Tennessee dosen't require a state inspection.

HeadWizard

OK, all states are different and everyone has an opinion (and we know all about opinions :? )

I will offer one... I am not LE, but I am licensed by the Virginia State Police as a Virginia State Motor Vehicle Safety Inspector. I own a bobbed Deuce and it has Antique tags on it - perfectly legal here.

Antique vehicle owners must certify in writing when they obtain the plates that their vehicle complies with the safety standard in the year of manufacture. The plates are permanent. The vehicle MAY be submitted for an annual Safety Inspection, but it is NOT required. If it is submitted and passes, it will be issued a window sticker that expires 12 months later.

If the vehicle has been inspected and carries a current sticker then any Virginia LE official can stop the vehicle and perform/verify that the vehicle passes inspection. If an Antique vehicle has NO sticker, then this inspection cannot be performed unless at the direction of State Police and with sufficient cause to inspect. I had this discussion with my State Trooper less than 1 month ago after he asked for a ride in the Deuce.

My truck does not carry a sticker, even though it would pass. Less potential hassle.

In my experience, LE sees the truck, smiles, waves or nods and lets you roll on. Smile and wave or nod back.

As to the insurance issue. Tell your agent what you have and make sure they come take a picture of it so they have it in their records - even better, make sure the underwriter signs off on it and you will not have a problem later on.

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Vehicle Code legal...?

And if a normal guy ordered them and just filled out the paperwork without complying with the provisions that seems OK? If that was the spirit of the law then we would be on the honor roll system. Any way you put it if you buy the stickers saying an inspection was done and the vehicle conforms when it doesn't it is not right. Many state inspection stickers have serial numbers and they are stolen and resold so people can put them on cars that do not comply with the inspection standards. The stickers are tracked and stolen ones are entered as stolen. I do not know of the federal inspection you speak of. I do know that some counties in TN do in fact have emissions inspections unless things have changed dramatically in 8 years. No state inspection is required but without the emissions test or a waiver you can not get a vehicle registered. Again, the inspection forms are stolen and sold black market style.

My point is if you are getting an inspection done then get it done by the proper people or agency. Don't order a sticker on the internet and slap it on. Get it properly inspected and get the sticker the proper way. I have seen people jailed that bought stolen items like inspection stickers on the internet.

If I misunderstood your original post I am sorry but as I remember it you told him he could just get an inspection sticker and put it on the vehicle without inspecting it properly. If the feds allow anyone to inspect it and he did so to the standards published then I say no problem but if you were implying he should just get a sticker and slap it on then that is not right as the truck was not inspected to the proper standard.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HeadWizard said:
OK, all states are different and everyone has an opinion (and we know all about opinions :? )

I will offer one... I am not LE, but I am licensed by the Virginia State Police as a Virginia State Motor Vehicle Safety Inspector. I own a bobbed Deuce and it has Antique tags on it - perfectly legal here.

Antique vehicle owners must certify in writing when they obtain the plates that their vehicle complies with the safety standard in the year of manufacture. The plates are permanent. The vehicle MAY be submitted for an annual Safety Inspection, but it is NOT required. If it is submitted and passes, it will be issued a window sticker that expires 12 months later.

If the vehicle has been inspected and carries a current sticker then any Virginia LE official can stop the vehicle and perform/verify that the vehicle passes inspection. If an Antique vehicle has NO sticker, then this inspection cannot be performed unless at the direction of State Police and with sufficient cause to inspect. I had this discussion with my State Trooper less than 1 month ago after he asked for a ride in the Deuce.

My truck does not carry a sticker, even though it would pass. Less potential hassle.

In my experience, LE sees the truck, smiles, waves or nods and lets you roll on. Smile and wave or nod back.

As to the insurance issue. Tell your agent what you have and make sure they come take a picture of it so they have it in their records - even better, make sure the underwriter signs off on it and you will not have a problem later on.
So you are saying if you have the truck inspected they can perform a "road-side inspection" at any time but if you don't have the truck inspected they can't inspect it? That seems odd but I never underestimate the government :? .

ida34

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Vehicle Code legal...?

Here is the section on the Federal Inspection. It allows for self inspection by Motor Carriers and the inspection only applied to commercial carriers. If he is not a commercial carrier then he does not need to comply and as I read it he could not inspect it himself as it clearly state a commercial motor carrier can do self inspections. It does not say an individual can do them but then again the inspection does not apply to individuals that are not commercial operators.

396.17 Periodic inspection.

(a) Every commercial motor vehicle shall be inspected as required by this section. The inspection shall include, at a minimum, the parts and accessories set forth in Appendix G of this subchapter.

Note: The term commercial motor vehicle includes each vehicle in a combination vehicle. For example, for a tractor semitrailer, fulltrailer combination, the tractor, semitrailer, and the fulltrailer (including the converter dolly if so equipped) shall each be inspected.

(b) Except as provided in §396.23, a motor carrier shall inspect or cause to be inspected all motor vehicles subject to its control.

(c) A motor carrier shall not use a commercial motor vehicle unless each component identified in Appendix G has passed an inspection in accordance with the terms of this section at least once during the preceding 12 months and documentation of such inspection is on the vehicle. The documentation may be:

(c)(1) The inspection report prepared in accordance with paragraph §396.21(a), or

(c)(2) Other forms of documentation, based on the inspection report (e.g., sticker or decal), which contains the following information:

(c)(2)(i) The date of inspection;

(c)(2)(ii) Name and address of the motor carrier or other entity where the inspection report is maintained;

(c)(2)(iii) Information uniquely identifying the vehicle inspected if not clearly marked on the motor vehicle; and

(c)(2)(iv) A certification that the vehicle has passed an inspection in accordance with §396.17.

(d) A motor carrier may perform the required annual inspection for vehicles under the carrier's control which are not subject to an inspection under §396.23(b)(1).

(e) In lieu of the self inspection provided for in paragraph (d) of this section, a motor carrier may choose to have a commercial garage, fleet leasing company, truck stop, or other similar commercial business perform the inspection as its agent, provided that business operates and maintains facilities appropriate for commercial vehicle inspections and it employs qualified inspectors, as required by §396.19.

(f) Vehicles passing roadside or periodic inspections performed under the auspices of any State government or equivalent jurisdiction or the FMCSA, meeting the minimum standards contained in Appendix G of this subchapter, will be considered to have met the requirements of an annual inspection for a period of 12 months commencing from the last day of the month in which the inspection was performed, except as provided in §396.23(b)(1).

(g) It shall be the responsibility of the motor carrier to ensure that all parts and accessories not meeting the minimum standards set forth in Appendix G to this subchapter are repaired promptly.

(h) Failure to perform properly the annual inspection set forth in this section shall cause the motor carrier to be subject to the penalty provisions provided by 49 U.S.C.521(b).

[53 FR 49410, Dec. 7, 1988; 53 FR 49968, Dec. 12, 1988, as amended at 54 FR 50725, Dec. 8, 1989; 66 FR 49874, Oct. 1, 2001]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chuck, I should have been clearer in my original post. I didn't mean to imply that you could just slap the sticker on a truck that wouldn't pass inspection. I'm not even sure the federal inspection applies to non-comercial trucks but someone brought it up in a earlier post.
Yes, I know about some counties requiring inspections (metro Nashville does) but my county dosen't.

ida34

m16ty said:
Chuck, I should have been clearer in my original post. I didn't mean to imply that you could just slap the sticker on a truck that wouldn't pass inspection. I'm not even sure the federal inspection applies to non-comercial trucks but someone brought it up in a earlier post.
Yes, I know about some counties requiring inspections (metro Nashville does) but my county dosen't.
Then I apologize for the comment. I did find that it did not apply to non-commercial trucks or drivers. You are lucky your are in a county without the inspection. I was in Sumner and they had the inspections and a lot of people would take the temp tags and doctor them to give them more time when their cars would not pass. I cited and arrested quite a few. It is sad because it is a felony to mess with the temp tags. On one of my trucks it took no less then 3 trips to the inspection station before I got it to pass. It was a new to me truck coming from a non inspection county and it took a lot to get it to comply. I did finally get it to comply.

HeadWizard

Wade-
Thanks for putting up a link to the code. I've read it all too often.

As it says in the heading, "antique motor vehicle or antique trailer excepted." Read that to mean not required.

It also says "The Superintendent (of the State Police) may compel...." I read that to mean that only the State police may require...

I'm not sure if you were questioning or agreeing? Either way, thanks for the input.

M16TY-
Yes, what you say is correct. Odd as it might seem.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok I modded a Jeep using the chassis of an old CJ (VIN from this one)and a body of a YJ the police pulled my son over and gave him a ticket with the Antique tags saying he should have had hot rod tags on it....Peoples republic of Maryland. I have not had any issues with my other trucks registered as antiques. The CUCV is registered as a regular vehicle and passed inspection the other ones are old and didn't need an inspection.

wadereg

HeadWizard...I was agreeing, LOL. Just for others to read.

BE ADVISED THAT IS FOR VIRGINIA RESIDENTS ONLY. Other states have different laws.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Vehicle Code legal...?

I've got to agree with emr. The key to success with an MV (in OH at least), is that "Historical Vehicle" plate. That sets the baseline for OEM criteria. It makes life much easier. Problems arise if the owner operates outside of the "Historical Vehicle" rules. Then, you get into the commercial tags realm, and your back to the headaches.

Ohio has those, "pull over here" safety checks along the road in places. They do a basic walk around and check lights, horn, wipers, etc. I'd be willing to bet that if they saw a deuce rolling their way, they'd have a trooper out there flaggin' ya right on by! :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks