• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle ID

Emf27

I'm buying the HMMWV pictured below. I have been told it was a Marine MP vehicle. 6.2 L 3 speed. I am getting some conflicting info from people I have spoken to regarding the specific model. Some have told me it is an M1151, which is up armor capable but without the armor and another source claims it is not. Hoping one of you has some insight or suggestions on how I can tell for sure or where I should look to find out. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Attachments

Last edited:

Emf27

As far as I know it has always been a slantback. I do not see a data plate so far but as it is not yet purchased I haven't spent a ton of time looking either. Unfortunately I do not have the NSN, can you tell me where to look for that? I think m1026 is correct as it does have a winch. Any idea how to differentiate from the A1 variant? I have included some additional photos if they are at all helpful. Thank you very much for your replies thus far!

Attachments

Last edited:

tim292stro

Wrong grille and hood for an up armored unit, and I don't recall x-doors being classified as "uparmored". smells like a m998 with a slantback kit.

IIRC, the true uparmored units have full air-conditioning, an armor partition separating the slant-back from the passenger area. The basic suplemental "ballistic protection" for the x-doors would hide the "X" on the lower portion of the doors behind a flat kevlar plate - those just look like base fiberglass doors. I can see vents in the aluminum body tub behind the hood latches, so that truck does not have add-on armor on the body. It looks like even the seats are wrong for the 11xx series...

To see if the windshield is bullet resistant, take a look at how thick it is - for a highly un-scientific test, you can put a finger from one hand on the outside an a finger from your other hand on the inside. If you fingers are any less than 1/2" apart, it's probably just the standard DOT laminated windshield.

All that aside, I agree with the poster above - if the price was right, I give a body part I cared about in exchange for a good former Military Police setup slant back like that.

2w091

Look on the drivers door frame for the data plate. Should have the NSN, ser#, type and delivery date. If it's a Modified Work Order retrofit, it will have the triangular metal tabs with the MWO number.

Here is a link with the NSN's and variants.

http://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/HMMWV.htm

With a 6.2 and three speed, I'd say it's not an A1, but the winch looks like a newer model so maybe a MWO?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know it has always been a slantback. I do not see a data plate so far but as it is not yet purchased I haven't spent a ton of time looking either. Unfortunately I do not have the NSN, can you tell me where to look for that? I think m1026 is correct as it does have a winch. Any idea how to differentiate from the A1 variant? I have included some additional photos if they are at all helpful. Thank you very much for your replies thus far!
m1025/26 as I said...has newer 6.5 motor, as can be seen from the GEP sticker on the valve cover, plus the motor is all black, indicating rebuild. The other dead giveaway that's it's at least authentic is the rocker Panel armor, can't tell if it's basic or supplemental from pics, but the X doors tells me basic most likely.
The hood grills are correct as well...

tim292stro

I don't see any armor on the rocker at all, it looks like basic stamped aluminum body tub.

To the OP Emf27, the M1025/1026 were called armorment carriers due to the turret on the roof - this has nothing to do with ballistic armor, "armorments" are weapons... like an M2 .50cal or a genade launcher for example. The advertiser is probably confused if they think it has armor.

The engine could have been changed at any time with anything that was on-hand for the vehicle. The short-block is comon with the CUCV too, so there is no guarentee that the engine is factory original. This is also one of the reasons that odometers are not to be trusted on these vehicles, milage is not legally important on military vehicles in service, the important metric is "is it combat ready"? Parts get swapped and borrowed from othe trucks all the time, which is why trucks often sell from GL/GP incomplete.

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Windshield bezels are M1025/6 series...thin glass.
Has the screws in rocker panels holding the internal thin armor plates.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see any armor on the rocker at all, it looks like basic stamped aluminum body tub.

To the OP Emf27, the M1025/1026 were called armorment carriers due to the turret on the roof - this has nothing to do with ballistic armor, "armorments" are weapons... like an M2 .50cal or a genade launcher for example. The advertiser is probably confused if they think it has armor.

The engine could have been changed at any time with anything that was on-hand for the vehicle. The short-block is comon with the CUCV too, so there is no guarentee that the engine is factory original. This is also one of the reasons that odometers are not to be trusted on these vehicles, milage is not legally important on military vehicles in service, the important metric is "is it combat ready"? Parts get swapped and borrowed from othe trucks all the time, which is why trucks often sell from GL/GP incomplete.
you need to look harder at the pics...the truck has armor, the truck is an M1025/26 or variant. aua

Emf27

m1025/26 as I said...has newer 6.5 motor, as can be seen from the GEP sticker on the valve cover, plus the motor is all black, indicating rebuild. The other dead giveaway that's it's at least authentic is the rocker Panel armor, can't tell if it's basic or supplemental from pics, but the X doors tells me basic most likely.
The hood grills are correct as well...
Thank you very much! The seller thought it was a 6.2. However he is also selling two more just like mine and the buyer of those 2 suggested that he thought all three were 6.5's. So that is good news :)
based on your input I think I can safely say this is an m1026 6.5L, possibly the A1 variant. Agreed? I really appreciate all of your help! I very much look forward to sharing the restoration process with everyone.

2w091

With the 6.5 and the winch, it's an A1, the NSN last four should be 9579. I looked at one of those in Sparta 2011, they are overhauled and usually in really good shape.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the parts manual, it shows A1's to have front high back seats.

TedG

Did you open the commanders door and look at the placard on the b pillar sail panel? Should say on the top right corner what it was. M1025/26 and has mounts for MK64 iirc. A0 truck.

2w091

The one I looked at had a high back seat for the driver only, it also had the electronic lights switches...........:sad: