• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle Marking Paint

Westech

CPL
hot pink is a good choice.... but really semi gloss or flat. we use whatever we have hanging around. But semi is the norm I think.. I sure there will be more input.....

KsM715

Westech, I dare you to sneak out into the motorpool and re-stencil some trucks in hot pink and see how long it lasts. :-D

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Technically the military directed if the truck was in CARC, the lettering had to be in CARC. Nobody ever had the CARC so we normally used whatever was available. I even remember once a kid using rubber undercoating paint. What a mess he made.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm sure each branch of the armed forces had its own instructions on the matter. In the AF, we used semi-gloss yellow on the blue vehicles and flat black on the OD or camo ones. The original paint on my Army M37 is semi-gloss OD with semi-gloss white lettering.

Srjeeper

Look under Resources in the Tech Manual section and there's info manuals there for whatever year you want to cover, but TB 43-0147 states in section 2-2 'lusterless white', color chip No. 37875.

When Camo and Carc paints came into play, the marking colors changed or were eliminated altogether.

rangernut0901180

I have a Question related to the Paint... What are the Dimensions for the Lettering on a Vietnam Era 3/4 ton (I think it is an M37) and for a Korean Era Jeep

I am helping a friend do some restoration work on both and we will be doing some work on a Deuce in the near future too

Jones

Starting about chap. 2; TB43-0147 and TB43-0209 (in the library) have all of the specs for paint color and sizes for vehicle markings.
TB43-0209 says the "Thickness of the characters (stroke width) should be 1/6 to 1/7 of their height".

Oldfart

I like the TM part where it says "or whatever fits" on the vehicle in the suggested location. Our M220 had several layers of bumper and body markings in its 55 year tour of duty with the military. Most everthing was 3 inch, but there was some 4 inch as well. The last round of markings were vinyl letters and some of that was 2 inch. I think it depends on what period you want to represent and to what ever latitude allowed during that period. We opted for the middle period on our M220 and used flat black 3 inch paint stencils as we found under a couple of layers of later paint. My M37 came to me (back in 1963) with no bumper markings, but 2 inch high flat white vehicle numbers on both sides of the hood. Moosetracks M37 acquired by him at the same time came the same way. Those numbers are still there, but both trucks are very faded now.

Last edited: