• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vehicle Serial No. ????

Loose Deuce

OK MV master minds I finally found my No. on the left front frame rail. I been putting it off because that black coating is some ruff crap to get off,some kind of protective coating, under coat I guess.
Well this is what was on it, 0325 24681, I figured it wouldn't be a easy one that just had the date stamped like some. so what does the No.'s mean ? :D

houdel

Taken in order, and assuming you have a M35A2, the "03" signifies your truck was built in the third lot of M35A2 trucks produced. The "03" lot was produced in 1968-1970, and SHOULD have a Kaiser-Jeep data plate. The "25" is the type designator, in this case a M35A2 without winch."24681" is the serial number of your truck. That serial number would indicate your truck was produced in late 1969.

For more info see:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=11576
http://www.militaryvehiclesmagazine...2&articleid=5745&articlemid=5656#5656Articles

Loose Deuce

Thats Great, all three of the Differentals are from 1969, ( July/September/December) according to their tags. It is a M35A2 wo/w with a Kaiser plate, I'll have to double check that No. on it and compare. Must be a 1968-69 then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Assuming this is an army vehicle, do you have the Army registration (hood/door number)? It should be 04M35769. Please let me know if this is correct.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Loose Deuce

DDoyle, Yes that's correct. ( 04M-35769 ) I found my plate and its the original. I didn't think it was till now but everything falls into place. the Contract No. is DAAE-06-68-C-0007 I glad my Mississippi Title and Reg. matches but there was one mistake the title shows its a AM General and that's my fault because that's what I told them at the court house. :?

acetomatoco

And remember that the production runs begin at 10001...so you are in the 14000 range of trucks made in that series...a few get used in production and not shipped or assigned a USA #...I think.

Loose Deuce

well I'm going to strip some of the paint off the hood one day just to see if there was a No put on it and see what it was. What should my hood have on it fot that period ?

USA 24681
US 24681

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The correct nomenclature for the hood would be U.S. Army 04M-35769.

That is the registration number - this is the number that identified the truck to the army. Think of it like the tag number on your car - only permanent. The 0325 24681 is the manufacturer's serial number, or VIN. Beyond a once in a blue moon reference in a parts book, the VIN number has no meaning to the military, and was not typically painted on the vehicle anywhere.

If you have the markings that were stencilled on the front or rear bumpers, these can provide clues as to its use. Neither the VIN nor the registration number are of any help with regard to use.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

oldshep

The VIN on my m109 is stenciled on the underside of the hood. While I was sanding on my left door I discovered a chevron like shape with the point at the top. Did this mean any thing?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Hmm...they shoulda stenciled the registration number on the underside of the hood, not the VIN. Interesting.

Tell me more about the chevron. Tan truck?

DD

oldshep

Some of the truck has a layer of tan under the green camo but the chevron shape is about 1.5 feet tall by 1.5 feet wide. The truck has a Fort Hood Texas rebuild tag on the T-case and is a 66 Kaiser with an 87 multifuel(if it matters).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks