• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Venison recovery vehicle

jeeplvr247

There is always something you can do about it. I call mine "Ruthie", .308, Remington 700 Suppressed!
My neighbor and her kids were on their patio watching it. They may have suspected me (the only guy in the neighborhood that wears camouflage and drives MVs) if bambis was shot.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped by joediveguy's place right when he and his friend were pulling the hide off the deer with an ATV winch. Yup, we're all rednecks here. :)

edpdx

I like the lift you have built. It looks like a must when you are trying to hoist that bugger up onto the roof. I have discovered this method from F&S magazine. It can be used to hoist to the roof as well. The downside is that you will need a hefty tree nearby. Yours is pretty sweet as it is self-contained. Thanks for sharing the idea.

deer lift.jpg
From the May 2012 issue of Field & Stream magazine.

Illustration by Robert Prince

I used to dread the backbreaking task of getting a buck up and over the truck tailgate solo. Until I discovered this trick.

Step 1:
Throw one rope over a branch. Tie one end to the rack and the other to the trailer hitch. Tie a second rope to the rack and toss the tag end over the branch.
Step 2:
Pull the truck forward to lift the animal off the ground. Secure the free end of the second rope to the tree or another object strong enough to hold the deer.
Step 3:
Untie the first rope from the vehicle. Back up under the animal. Untie the rope from the tree and lower the deer into the truck.

bamalady

We are clearing 30 acres of land for pasture up on the hill. When we bought the place there was a big deer stand in place (you could sit inside it). They had cleared places to shoot the deer in.

Once the rye grass is in I'm going to get Wreckerman to put up another stand and put some meat in the freezer.

He said the only deer he ever killed was taken with a Peterbuilt.:driver:

Attachments

Sverige

Where did you buy your safari rack? I've been looking for something similar (I'm in Virginia too).

Thank you.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He had that rack custom built, and he painted it up himself. Do a search on his threads, and you'll find the information on the rack build.

Sverige

Yes, I know the boom was custom made but I don't believe the rack was custom made. I'm looking for the seller of the roof rack (not the boom).

joediveguy

Hey guys, sorry but I have been “off line” for a while. I have been spending every spare minute inthe field hunting. This is a 100% custommade safari rack, welded by a friend of mine who builds race car chassis. He has no interest in recreating it foranyone, however I do have another buddy, Tom, who is. Tom has a whole fabrication shop with a Plasmacutting table that can cut out any shape you could want. Tom built my front bumper and made the Boomfor the safari Rack. He has told me thathe could build a Safari rack as good, or better than the one I have.

The Safari rack is bolted onto brackets that slide under thefiberglass top and are bolted to the bed rim through the top. It raises the top about an eighth of an inch but I sandwiched some weatherstripping in and it has sealed it pretty well. The safari Rack is stout and will hold more weight than the Blazer couldever handle. I mainly wanted it to relocatethe spare and it morphed into this beast. The Boom is removable after hunting season. So far, it have used it on a 200 pound whitetail and it worked like a charm. No elk aroundhere but we have some good sized Bears I hope to get a chance to use it on.

If you are interested in having my friend, Tom, fabricateanything for you, PM me and I will give you his info. I can tell you he is fair, and is a quality welder. All of his stuff carry’s a lifetime warrenty.

Last edited:

joediveguy

The boom is eight bolts and I can mount / remove it bymyself. It took Tom about a week to fabit up. The safari rack took two of us towrestle it up and into place and took a about a month for my buddy to build.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks