• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vent Windows

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search but still couldn't find the answer.

I am rebuilding my M1028 vent windows. I bought new vent rubber from LMC, but the stuff is way too big and doesn't fit like original. Instead of snapping into original holes, the upright rubber must be glued in place which is almost impossible to accomplish without getting adhesive all over everything. Then the adhesive doesn't cure straight and looks like ****.

Does anybody know a source for OEM vent rubber instead of this cheap Taiwan stuff? How about complete vent assemblies?

Thanks in advance for chiming in.

Mike

blackhueys

plus one on this as I did what you did. LMC truck is hit or miss on there parts ran into the same issue the seals just dont fit. i tried the dealer and he said he might be able to get some new oem ones, maybe try your local dealer?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuilding the vent windows on these trucks is a major problem. You would think somebody would offer an exchange service.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got tired of fooling with these things and ordered a set of NOS vent assemblies. Kinda pricey but hey - can't take my money with me to the grave.

After purchasing 2 different sets of aftermarket replacement vent rubber, I concluded that the repop stuff is just not produced correctly to provide proper fit and function. The rubber is way too big, which causes stress on the vent glass frame. When trying to get the drivers side vent to work correctly, the oversize rubber caused the vent frame stem to break.

While researching all this, I learned that GM offered the vent components individually up until 1984, then in 1985 they only offered the entire group of components as an assembly. I had the GM part numbers for the '84 components but couldn't find them anywhere, even at sources which specialized in such. Then my friend at the GM parts counter suggested I search for the '85 and up complete assemblies, which I located in about 10 minutes by Googling the part numbers. I will post photos in my rebuild post "Kinda got carried away...".

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part numbers for the complete vent assemblies are 15634471 for the drivers side and 15634472 for the passeners side. I got both NOS from GMpartsgiant.com. About $300 apiece.

The NOS vent assemblies make it feel like a brand new truck. Of all the money I have spent on my rebuild/restoration (and I have spent a LOT), I consider the NOS vent assemblies to be the best value. There is just no way to achieve good looks and proper function with the repop stuff.

It amazes me that people will spend hundreds or thousands for wheels and tires and performance items (such as a turbo), but cringe at spending $600 for NOS vent assemblies. To me, those vent assemblies are just as important as any other major improvement. Just my 2 cents.

Mike Gresham

WARWAG

Thanks for the part numbers. What I need I believe is just a set or to rebuild the lock or levers themselves. Im not having much luck finding a rebuild kit. It may not even exist. If not then maybe a new set of locks. If I have to I will go with complete new assemblies but I dont believe there needed. Thanks for the part numbers

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NOS vent assemblies do not include the locks. I purchased rebuild kits from LMC which came wih new chrome levers but I used the original black levers. Works perfectly.

Mike Gresham

wired1000

Whenever someone's bragging about their new Kia with heated and cooled seats, Bluetooth, etc, I ask if their ride has vent windows? NO??? What about those vents in the wheel wells????? Cars these days...

donalloy1

Mine are both pretty much shot as far as the rubber goes. Wish there was a more economical solution to this problem? My wife will **** a Golden Goose if I spend 600 on Wing Windows right nowaua

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your only other alternative would be to try to find a decent set in a salvage yard somewhere. The repop rubber just will not work.

I will stick with what I said earlier - it seems acceptable to spend $600 for a set of tires which will wear out, but it seems unacceptable to spend $600 for those NOS vent windows. I consider my vent windows to be one of the best things of my rebuild.

Hope this opens some eyes.

donalloy1

Your only other alternative would be to try to find a decent set in a salvage yard somewhere. The repop rubber just will not work.

I will stick with what I said earlier - it seems acceptable to spend $600 for a set of tires which will wear out, but it seems unacceptable to spend $600 for those NOS vent windows. I consider my vent windows to be one of the best things of my rebuild.

Hope this opens some eyes.
Read you loud and clear Sharecropper! Hope they are still available when I can justify purchase?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part numbers for the complete vent assemblies are 15634471 for the drivers side and 15634472 for the passeners side. I got both NOS from GMpartsgiant.com. About $300 apiece.

cucv1833

Good Info SHARECROPPER! Im 75% done with changing all my weather-stripping on my M1009 and was about to start looking into the vent windows. Glad I seen this before I started ripping the vent windows apart.

Mine are not leaking yet but may go look in the salvage yard for a decent set.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checked GMpartsgiant and the driver's side NOS vent is now $403.96 and the passenger's side NOS vent is $325.94.

So they are not getting any cheaper. Glad I got mine when I did.

rwoods

Any of you guys have a spare black vent window lever for the driver's side? Mine has been replaced with the fat chrome wing type lever. Thanks, Ron