• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vented glad hand cover

sermis

I think it is just to allow the air pressure to bleed off so when you remove the cover nothing comes flying in your face. I have noticed 3 styles on the ones I have picked up. Solid, ones with a small hole, and the one you posted.

when i bought my XM818 they told me after using the brakes a couple times i had to crack the bleeder on the air pack or the brakes would drag. they were right. after driving it home i found the glad hand on the right front had the type of cover like you posted the pic of. it was plugged. after unplugging it the brakes never gave any more problems.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't make a lot of sense since there is a cut-off valve in between, Sermis's explanation is more plausable, but then again, why wouldn't all glad hand need this...still looking for a good answer...

acetomatoco

There is a oneway walve downwind of the vented hand... remember that the front glad hands are used when towing the truck with another...and that is how you apply the brakes....on the vehicle being towed.... so residual pressure in that line would apply the brakes. Take a look at the 5 on air schematic in your manuals and it will be self explanatory... ACE

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, so the vented dummy coupling is only used on the "Service" line.
The check valves (#20 in drawing) may leak and build pressure in the line, causing brakes not to be released was it not for the breather.
Alternately, no dummy coupling at all would work, of course, leaving line open.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still a little foggy on this. How can the vented gladhand cover vent the line, if the ballvalve is closed?

dfanders

Vented Glad Hand- Keep or replace???

Gents,

We have a 1957 M52. I removed the Front service line to clean it up. I noticed that it has this type of vented glad hand. I has NO cut off , as do ALL the other lines (inlcuding the 5th wheel lines). As you can see this is rusted shut, and i assume not working. I was going to add in a shut off on this line, but rreading the above posts , makes me wonder if i need to get a replacement vented glad hand??
Suggestions?
Cheers,
David

Attachments

Bighurt

A vented air coupling should always be used to prevent brake lock. If the line becomes pressurized the brakes will not release. When the glad hands are not in use the only way to prevent this other than a vented coupling is no coupling, which can allow FOD in the system or a hose connecting the two hands which is in practical. A vented cover is the best option. Info taken from TB 9-2300-426-20

V/R

added;

BTW in the civil sector and in the USAF a vented coupling is required on the emergency line prior to the release of the parking brake.

Last edited:
Gents,

We have a 1957 M52. I removed the Front service line to clean it up. I noticed that it has this type of vented glad hand. I has NO cut off , as do ALL the other lines (inlcuding the 5th wheel lines). As you can see this is rusted shut, and i assume not working. I was going to add in a shut off on this line, but rreading the above posts , makes me wonder if i need to get a replacement vented glad hand??
Suggestions?
Cheers,
David
if you cap it off tight you will not like the outcome.
it needs to be vented or the brakes may apply themselves so to speak.
some will disagree with me on this but i have more than one first hand expiereance with this.

jatonka

I'm sure even Cranetruck has accepted the correct answer from Dave P by now. I installed new master cylinder, air pack, and all rubber brake lines before Vinnie Schwartz with "The Untouchable" Gun Truck told me to check the vent in my right front glad hand on my M51A2 dump truck. Then Acetomato Co verified it for me a while later. Live and learn JT out

blacktop_one

Hate to drag up this old thread, but from what I'm reading here - if your inline shutoff valve is open and you have one of these on the gladhand you'll have air leaking through this cover? Discovered this on mine the other day and thought I had a problem.

saddamsnightmare

:razz:March 03, 2010.

I always thought that the towing gladhands on the front of the five tons were a pretty good idea, and I always wondered why Uncle didn't apply the idea to the M35A2's that went through rebuild in the late 1980's as it would make them more controllable when towing. I suggested this adaptation to a set of Flexible transit busses Harpers Ferry NHP had in the 1990's, as they were unholy to try to move with the airbrakes bled down and locked (automatic air brakes)..

Of course the deuce doesn't need to have these, but it seems a good idea....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:driver: