• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VERY basic bead lock question

ericp351

Hi all. I'm gonna sound like a bonehead here- Other tires I bought (Super Singles) had bead locks inside. For "bare tires" , do I squeeze bead locks inward , then install- pry ,tire beads wide to put in bead lock, or both? Lastly- can I reuse bead locks "almost forever" if they look OK? thanks!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... do I squeeze bead locks inward
Squeeze or twist-and-screw in, depending on what type of beadlock we are talking about. Or are you referring to runflats?
..... then install- pry ,tire beads wide to put in bead lock
Often yes, especially if tires were kind of collapsed/compressed from being stacked in a pile.
.... can I reuse bead locks "almost forever" if they look OK?
Yes.

ericp351

Squeeze or twist-and-screw in, depending on what type of beadlock we are talking about. Or are you referring to runflats?

Often yes, especially if tires were kind of collapsed/compressed from being stacked in a pile.

Yes.
Thanks! Figure I'd stand on old Bead Lock, bind it with twine or wire, and work it in. Just common Bead Lock "donuts"- bead size, not Run Flats...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect you are talking about solid rubber runflat inserts, AKA "donuts" ?

.... like this one....... ?
20200117_181526.jpg

.... and not this type of full rubber beadlock .....?
14.00_r20_beadlock_insert_2_.jpg

or this other version, steel/rubber beadlock ???
2018-02-07 13.24.31.jpg

ericp351

Full rubber bead lock. Middle photo. 1 piece Super Single "rubber Ring", with an "air Groove" only. I wondered if I squish it flat-ish if it would bounce back to round, or if I do something silly I may mess up a bead on an expensive tire. Cool photos, thanks.

ericp351

Cool and will do. Thought that there could be a Trick, like those pre cell phone kids puzzles. I recall the one where you have a steel ring trapped between 2 horse-shoe shaped pieces and you have to get the ring out. I am getting faster at tire mounting otherwise. A young man's sport... thanks.

Defcon-1

Got it! You all also have the best pictures too. Thanks.
Also as previously mentioned about lube, I used this stuff to break the bead and to assist with getting everything back in, it had plenty of working time, just a suggestion. I know some guys use Dawn soap too, anything to keep it slippery will help lol

1717841071014.png

ericp351

Good tip. I have been using some black goo by the same company to dress beeds and )O Ring with soap + Mussel to break apart/ lube rim 1/2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks