• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VERY basic bead lock question

ericp351

Hi all. I'm gonna sound like a bonehead here- Other tires I bought (Super Singles) had bead locks inside. For "bare tires" , do I squeeze bead locks inward , then install- pry ,tire beads wide to put in bead lock, or both? Lastly- can I reuse bead locks "almost forever" if they look OK? thanks!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... do I squeeze bead locks inward
Squeeze or twist-and-screw in, depending on what type of beadlock we are talking about. Or are you referring to runflats?
..... then install- pry ,tire beads wide to put in bead lock
Often yes, especially if tires were kind of collapsed/compressed from being stacked in a pile.
.... can I reuse bead locks "almost forever" if they look OK?
Yes.

ericp351

Squeeze or twist-and-screw in, depending on what type of beadlock we are talking about. Or are you referring to runflats?

Often yes, especially if tires were kind of collapsed/compressed from being stacked in a pile.

Yes.
Thanks! Figure I'd stand on old Bead Lock, bind it with twine or wire, and work it in. Just common Bead Lock "donuts"- bead size, not Run Flats...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect you are talking about solid rubber runflat inserts, AKA "donuts" ?

.... like this one....... ?
20200117_181526.jpg

.... and not this type of full rubber beadlock .....?
14.00_r20_beadlock_insert_2_.jpg

or this other version, steel/rubber beadlock ???
2018-02-07 13.24.31.jpg

ericp351

Full rubber bead lock. Middle photo. 1 piece Super Single "rubber Ring", with an "air Groove" only. I wondered if I squish it flat-ish if it would bounce back to round, or if I do something silly I may mess up a bead on an expensive tire. Cool photos, thanks.

ericp351

Cool and will do. Thought that there could be a Trick, like those pre cell phone kids puzzles. I recall the one where you have a steel ring trapped between 2 horse-shoe shaped pieces and you have to get the ring out. I am getting faster at tire mounting otherwise. A young man's sport... thanks.

Defcon-1

Got it! You all also have the best pictures too. Thanks.
Also as previously mentioned about lube, I used this stuff to break the bead and to assist with getting everything back in, it had plenty of working time, just a suggestion. I know some guys use Dawn soap too, anything to keep it slippery will help lol

1717841071014.png

ericp351

Good tip. I have been using some black goo by the same company to dress beeds and )O Ring with soap + Mussel to break apart/ lube rim 1/2.