• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very odd m1028

ffwbrt

Hey guys,i got an 87 m1028,has the box bed but no goodies inside,this thing has only one LEECE alternator,has the wiring for the other,it starts a little slow,but fires right up. The box directly behind the motor has been bypassed but it still has the blue box on the dr side still hooked up. On the junction boxes for the batteries,mounted on pass side firewall, i found a short jumper wire running from one block to the other had melted into. So my question is, has this truck been butchered or do i replace the jumper and carry on. Oh, and is the one alt enough?

Crash_AF

Sounds like one of the 1010 style charging systems or an entire 1010 that's been gutted... pics would help a LOT... Pics of the box, the alt that's there, and all the trouble spots that you have found.

And yes, it has been butchered, there should be two LEECE alts, not one. Is there an AC compressor on the driver's side?

Later,
Joe

ffwbrt

Dont know much about loading pics,but it has the contact maint. box,and has had the ac comp on the driver side,none in the cab,i assume went to the rear box. I looked at another m1028 and it has the short jumper,looks like a resistor or diode, just wondering what purpose it served.

Crash_AF

Ok, we need pics of the box to make a positive ID, but it definitely has the 1010 charging system. The AC compressor is for the box, either commo or ambulance, not for the cab.

Does the truck have bucket seats or a bench?

Later,
Joe

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1028s from 1987 came with the M1010 charging system. I can't remember the reason, but I believe they only initially contracted for ambulances and then diverted a certain # for the M1028s, but all had the M1010 charging system. I used to own one and I know CUCVFAN did, as well. They both had the bench seat.

Crash_AF

I know that some of the last 1028s had the 1010 charging system to provide both AC and the higher amp charging system for the comm shelters, I'm trying to determine if he has a stripped out ambulance or a CMT body on the back. I know it doesn't make a difference in his problems, I'm just curious... LOL

If it is a CMT, it would have to be an 880 CMT body on the back as I haven't heard of a 200amp charging system 1028A1 so it would have a 208 transfer case without PTO.

Later,
Joe

dunedigger

The part you are refering to that jumps between the power rails on the pass side firewall is not needed. It was to eliminate radio noise. I suspect someone has mixed up some wires in the past with the alternators, it's the first thing to burn up as well as fusable links.

ffwbrt

It does have the CMT box,208 transfer and a bench seat. I just couldnt figure out if the one alt was enough,since it runs fine except seems weaker than normal,changed fuel filter,no difference. Thought the one alt might have an affect on that,or the little jumper wire being broke on the junction blocks on pass firewall.

Crash_AF

Ok... well the one alternator shouldn't be able to charge the 12V side of things, unless the whole truck has been converted to 12V with a 12V Leese alternator. Of course, the truck might have had the upper alt removed before turn in.

You have a couple of options to repair the truck at this point. You can purchase and install a 24V Leese alternator and try to put it back to stock so long as the wiring is there and the DUVAC box is still functional. If it is not, some people have had luck taking the DUVAC box out and installing a 24V to 12V battery charger in place of the DUVAC box and just let the system make 200A of straight 24V. You might be able to get by with this modification and only run 1 alternator, but I'm not sure that has ever been tried before.

Another option is to adapt a 12V Leese or other GM alternator to the upper bracket and wire it to the 12V battery, leaving the other alternator to provide 24V to the second battery. This will require some wiring fabrication on your part but has been done before.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks