• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

very slight rough idle

four_by_ken

M1009. It runs good, starts very easy, etc.

But, at idle (even when warmed up)... there is a little roughness that comes and goes. Well, it always does it... but it is not constant.

Sitting at stop lights is when I notice it the most. Cant remember if I notice it when it is in park or not. Its a stumble every few seconds.

Any ideas?

jakwi

You know mine does a similar thing at idle, but it's less a stumble and more a variation in idle speed, anywhere from 50 to 200 rpm. I think my problem is an air leak in the stock fuel filter housing, maybe you are having the same problem. You might try bleeding your injectors out and see if the problem goes away temporarily. When I bleed mine out the problem goes away for a couple of days.

M1009. It runs good, starts very easy, etc.

But, at idle (even when warmed up)... there is a little roughness that comes and goes. Well, it always does it... but it is not constant.

Sitting at stop lights is when I notice it the most. Cant remember if I notice it when it is in park or not. Its a stumble every few seconds.

Any ideas?

2deuce

Mine does the same thing, a rough idle. I tried a new cdr valve... its still rough. I increased the idle alittle and its better but still rough. Mine accelerates smooth off the idle. I wondered if the IP was getting weak and shows up at idle. I've put 25k on my truck and its always been rough, so I'm interested in the solution. Another symptom my truck started doing in the last 1k is changing speeds at freeway speeds. It will start accelerating slightly on its own to where it seems to be hunting, it won't stay steady like it used to. Coupled with the rough idle makes me think the IP is losing it, but I don't know. Hopfully the experts can help.

Thanks,
Greg

2deuce

Mine is rough only at idle also. accelerates smooth and runs smooth at freeway speeds, just wants to accelerate on it own slightly at times and that came up only recently. The last symptom I added because I wondered if both things could be due to the IP. How long has yours been doing the rough idle? The timing was retarded on mine when I got it. It was very quiet. I set the timing marks but the rough idle didn't change, but it did get noisier.

Greg

2deuce

Seems to me if it was an air leak it would give us a hiccup other than just at idle, but maybe the fact that mine wants to fluxuate at freeway speeds is also a sign that the problem is getting worse and if so yours might too. Maybe the freeway accelerating glitch is a sign of air, I don't know. Mine has been giving me the rough idle since I got it about 2 years ago. When I moved the timing marks to align, there was a slight increase in power, but the hiccup persisted.

Greg

Mudstone

i donno what my truck is doing... it runs feels powerful the mounts are good as is the balancer... but my whole **** truck shakes when that 6.2 idles. frankly... i kinda like it. :-D:cookoo:rofl

2deuce

One thing I forgot to add is that the fast idle/retard on the IP doesn't work on my truck. The truck starts easily with just a touch of throttle and runs smooth if you get it a tiny ammount of throttle until the glow plug end their cycle. I'm thinking of replacing this part to see if can have any effect on the truck when warm. I didn't think it would but who knows. Anyone have the part #? Can you get it at napa?

Thanks

2deuce

Has anyone found the cause of the rough idle? Last weekend the rough idle got alot rougher all of a sudden and has stayed that way. With alittle throttle it cleans up and runs smooth at all speeds, but at idle it shakes alot more than it used to. Its a random miss that visibly shakes the truck, but step on the throttle and it accelerates smooth.

Thanks,
Greg

2deuce

Ken,
I removed the green wires from the ip. Mine now idles smooth. I'll see what the difference that makes during a cold start. Curious if that helps yours.
Greg

2deuce

When I removed the cold advance and fast idle wires, it idled smooth. Today the slight roughness returned but the very rough rumping idle hasn't and the speed changing hasn't returned either. Starting was alittle more difficult but not much. It was about 45* today.

Greg

four_by_ken

When I removed the cold advance and fast idle wires, it idled smooth. Today the slight roughness returned but the very rough rumping idle hasn't and the speed changing hasn't returned either. Starting was alittle more difficult but not much. It was about 45* today.

Greg

I may disconnect as a test, but living in MI, I dont think I want to do anything that may add difficulty to starting in the winter.

2deuce

Possibly try it when the truck is warm. I'm thinking that the problem is somewhere in the fuel delivery, possibly dirty injectors and my electrical glitch compounded the problem. I can live with it the way it is, but not the way it was.

Greg