• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very strange gen 2 problem

dstang97

When the truck is cold both my gen 2 light works and also my volt meter. After the truck warms up. Both of them stop working. Alternator is good And wiring is good. I’m thinking it has to do with the relays by the starter or the gen 2 diode behind the cluster. Anyone else have this problem?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would clean the contacts and change the fuse out to a new fuse.
If it is still happening, while in the failure mode, check the voltage at the fuse to ensure that portion of the circuit is functioning.

dstang97

Update. i changed the 2 relays next to the starter relay and also the gen 2 diode. Nothing changed. I have my rear battery on a charger for now. I have no idea what’s going on. I may swap generators again and see if the problem goes to the other side. Idk I have replaced the whole system.

dstang97

I would clean the contacts and change the fuse out to a new fuse.
If it is still happening, while in the failure mode, check the voltage at the fuse to ensure that portion of the circuit is functioning.
so I cleaned the whole gauge cluster, verified everything worked. Started the truck up. Everything was working perfect. After 5 minutes I loose, volt gauge, light bulb on start up, low coolant light. After I loose everything I tested voltage at the fuse panel and getting 28v. I’m starting to think it may be a ignition switch. It’s the only thing I have not replaced. Btw. I have good batteries and alternators.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever split and cleaned the wiring block on the firewall? I have seen strange issues because of dirty contacts in this connection. Whatever GM used as a lubricant at the factory turns into a black tar. May not fix your issue but worth looking at.

dstang97

Have you ever split and cleaned the wiring block on the firewall? I have seen strange issues because of dirty contacts in this connection. Whatever GM used as a lubricant at the factory turns into a black tar. May not fix your issue but worth looking at.
hey man, I took apart the bulk head connector and everything looked great. I’m stumped on this problem. I have fixed lots of these trucks and know these things pretty well.

dstang97

Update I switched out the gauge cluster. Then put in a 4th alternator. Still no change. Still getting 24v to the fuse panel. At this point the only thing that has not been changed is the interior harness. After 5 minutes I’m still loosing voltage guage, 2gen light and low coolant light. Then after a few hours after it cools down everything works as should. Gonna switch out the harness and report back.

Keith_J

The 2 relays by the starter relay are for the blackout light system. You have to take the dash cover to see the alternator relay. Trace the voltmeter wires to find it.
Since this relay is energized on run to enable the right side alternator, it gets warm. It doesn't draw much through the contacts, I bet it gets warm and opens. Oxidation and humidity conspire to make silver contacts less than reliable.

dstang97

UPDATE: Ok guys I figured it out and I’m pretty embarrassed but oh well. The first thing you should do is test your fuses. And I did.

I failed to see one was missing completely and did not realize it until I really stuck my head underneath. It caught my eye as I was plugging in my gp card. The fuses go from the top 1,3,4,3. Right away I realized I was missing a fuse. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks