• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very strange "Tink" Noise

engineman2

Several months ago a bizarre tinking (hard to describe) noise developed on my truck. It normally happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd gears. It is a very loud noise and is plainly audible reverberating off of nearby buildings when driving in the small city I live in. This leads me to believe whatever is causing it is under power from the drivetrain, or is somehow under stress which is relieved when the truck thumps into 2nd gear. (truck has a shift kit)

Strangely, it does not do it all of the time and the truck does not drive any differently than it used to. There have been no other symptoms of any mechanical problems either. The last thing I can think of is something internal in the transfer case or transmission.

I've checked all of my shock mounts, spring mounts, u-bolts, engine mounts, trans crossmember, steering linkages, all u-joints and driveshafts. I also generally shook all of the parts I could reach under the truck every time I have gotten under it to pm it the last few months. I've yet to find anything that makes a noise even close to what I'm hearing. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

engineman2

I had considered that however the noise is not the typical clunk of the locker as I've heard that before especially when hammering the throttle in a turn. It very well may be the locker I just wonder why it's just started now even though I've been daily driving it for over two years. I should clarify that having it happen occasionally means it makes the tink about 2/3 of the time when shifting from 1st to 2nd. I might try shifting manually or putting the t-case in 4wd without locking the hubs to see if it still does it.

Smokingman

Go now and look for a mark on your harmonic balancer.I heard a similar "Tink,Tink noise on my M1009,the balancer had slipped and you could see where it had rubbed a little.Do NOT drive it if this is the case.Replace the balancer or lose the engine.Also when seating the new balancer use the proper thread.It is metric and I picked up some all thread of the proper size from Fastenall to seat mine.

dependable

If the locking differential is "adjusting" itself more often, perhaps load is uneven or tire pressures are not equal. Not sure if the harder shifting of shift kit would affect it, but it might as it reduces the over all play in the system. Sometimes people don't check tire pressure often enough, myself included.

engineman2

tennmogger, I've already checked the u-joints and I grease them every three months or whenever I take it on some serious trails.

dependable, I usually check my tires once a month and they're always right on point where they should be. But I don't know if the shift kit would change the rear diff. It wouldn't change the play in the system, but the harder shifts might be affecting it some other way. Then again it'd be hard to put too much power into the mighty 14B with a 6.2

Nick D, I hadn't considered the flexplate but that's a good possibility. I will try to check that out as soon as soon as I can.

sierrajcharlie

Awhile back I had a tinking noise every once in awhile. It drove me nuts trying to find it. I finally took off the rear tires and drums. Then I found on one side the springs had broken that held the shoe in place. So when the conditions were right the shoe was in there bouncing around.

Another time a tinking noise was coming from the rear the way it sounded. I couldn't figure that one out either until the day of the big bang when the rear end grenaded.

These things seem to have all kinds of funny noises in them.

engineman2

sierrajcharlie, I've done the disc brake conversion on my rear end, another thing I failed to mention lol. I would be livid if my rear end went while I was here at school and away from my shop to be able to fix it. Although I normally check both of my differentials oil every time I do an oil change, just to make sure they're ok. I haven't noted any strange colors or magnetic attractions in my rear diff fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks