• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Very successfull M1009 Recovery

YellowHammer

I made my trek to Huntsville to pick up my M1009 from the NG armory, the Redstone GL and DRMO folks are all great folks to deal with and I've got nothing but good things to say about them.

I trailered the vehicle back to east GA and to my dismay, I lost use of the trailer brake on the return trip. So you could say that my work-load was tricky with a 3,000# trailer with a 5,200# vehicle going through Section and Ft. Payne heading back to Rome with torrential downpours. Those mountain roads leave absolutely no room for error as one small mistake could end really bad. Then was blessed with catching the downtown connector in Atlanta appearing in 5oclock form, even though it was about 1530 when I hit ATL. I was slow, careful, and deliberate though and survived. Took me about an hour and forty-five minutes to make it from one end of the metro to the other (Cartersville-Covington).

The vehicle: Was very pleasantly surprised at the condition of said vehicle. Found it to have brand new tires and shocks. Then, upon opening the hood I found all new sensors, CDR valve, glow plug relay, and the whole wiring system all new. Looks like it was reworked total right before they turned it in. Huge waste of taxpayer money IMHO, but in this case I'm happy to be the benefactor. It didn't have quite enough juice to start without a slave, but fired right up without a hitch. I could have easily driven this vehicle the 350 miles back home without any problems. All fluids were good and the tires were only about 10lbs down on pressure. No notable rust anywhere on the vehicle. Also had between 3/4 and a full tank of fuel.

The interior is typical. Moderately torn drivers seat, the passenger and back are undamaged. No radio mounts or antenna mounts. The spare is about 80%(Goodyear Wrangler). The jack and attachments were sitting un-stowed in the back. Still had the NBC detector mount in the passenger floor. Like I said,very typical condition cosmetically. Nothing very notable one way or the other inside. Everything works as designed. The only drawbacks for me have been that it lacked a towing pintle(but I'm putting a combo on there anyway), and lack of antenna mounts. Not a big deal.

The vehicle drives great. Perfectly aligned, doesn't pull, vibrate, or anything that one would find undesirable. Doesn't smoke. I went out to the back training areas of Ft. Gordon today and put it through extensive exercise in all configurations and it performed flawlessly. I have to say, I feel I got pretty lucky with this one given that only 2K is involved.

I'll post progress updates as they happen later. I just wanted to share my experience of my first 2 days. My sons and I are going to have much fun with this truck. And to all that have offered advice and help that I've been in touch with lately, a truly heartfelt thank you. I came into this process completey ignorant to how it all works, and thanks to this site and the people who use it; I did this whole thing pretty much without problems. Once again. Thanks

YH

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks