• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vibrating Oil Pan?

Edis06

I decided to start a new thread about this topic because I'm interested in finding out if this is a typical issue or it is unique to my vibration sound problem.

When cold, my truck has a loud vibration which goes away in gear. Once hot, it only makes the loud sound while in gear and idling. Once gas is given, the sound disappears, suggesting that is a vibration sound rather than a bad bearing.

Thinking it was a torque converter rattle, I took it into a very reputable transmission shop and he didn't think that was the case. They spent an hour on it and thought the sound was coming from the engine or one of its components.

See vid in Neutral, then shifting into gear:

When it got it home, I lightly struck everything I could with the palm of my fist until I hit the oil pan. There it was! The rattle! It sound like the internals of the pan came loose or maybe one of the spot welds did. Looking an an image of a new pan, you can see the internal structure is spot welded to the slope of the pan, exactly where it appears to rattle.

See Vid of pan rattle:

Edis06

So, please, if anyone finds themselves under their HMMWV, try this and see if this is normal. It's easy to simply say, "no it's not," but there's been many times with other cars I've made the wrong assumptions. I'd hate to order a new pan and gasket if the new one does the same thing proving the sound is coming from somewhere else.

Thanks in advance!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So, please, if anyone finds themselves under their HMMWV, try this and see if this is normal. It's easy to simply say, "no it's not," but there's been many times with other cars I've made the wrong assumptions. I'd hate to order a new pan and gasket if the new one does the same thing proving the sound is coming from somewhere else.

Thanks in advance!
One of the spot welds on the baffle is broke or the metal is just weak. Remove it the oil pan. Maybe spot weld the baffle a little better.

Edis06

Again, I want to, but do they make that noise naturally? The guides in that pan are thin pot metal, so they all might do that when struck in just the right place. My gut tells me that the pan is bad and is the source of my noise, but I need someone to please confirm. I strike it at angled area, not the bottom. The bottom is silent, for the record.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks