• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC 1 and ipod etc

shootist

Ok so I got bored and decided
To cut up another headset. This one however
Had independent volume controls on each earphone.
I found these little circuit boards in side
(see pics) twisted the wires together, plugged in
An iPhone then gradually turned up the volume on that
Then turned up each of the volume knobs on the 2 little
boards and the sound was not only much better
it was much louder. Well louder compared to before.
Based on this test I would imagine a standalone inline
amp would work very well.
Thoughts?
Also the comm chatter is still pretty low have not
Figured that one out yet

Attachments

Last edited:

serial14

What does the other side of that board look like?

For sure there is just a variable resistor to set the relative volume. I'm wondering though if there is a transformer as well.

The impedance mismatch that was previously mentioned is certainly an issue, but not in the conventional way because of the circuitry inside the iPod. Its mainly an issue of output current VS output voltage. The idea of running the iPod through a 8:600 matching transformer might solve the problem. If it does, then you'll be able to solve the issue with a single passive part, instead of having to run power to the headphone amp.

deuceaid

Banned
You really need the help/guidance of a radio operator....... even a wire chaser on a ch53 will do,,,,,,help You more than us,,,,,,, You need some basic electonic skills... and skills are a learned trade,,, I hope You do good,,, But I will hold your to a high standard= bitch

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you dont need an EE or "formal" education to tinker, there are many ways to learn, some better than others. the key thing that is *most* important is DESIRE.. you have that already...

as for the ipod etc...

impedance, output level and isolation are ALL equally important..
- Impedance will reduce the overall efficiency of the output, reducing volume and adding distorsion

- Output level, will cause an out of balance situation where to hear the ipod you have to crank the volume way up on the intercom, then the military radios or other voices for occupants will be too loud.

- Isolation, most of these trucks are 24v, the vic 1 is 24v, and most current consumer electroncs are 12v. if you hook them put without isolation, you risk smoking the ipod if its powered via 24/12 volt converter or by a hookup on one battery.

simply.. if you never want to power it from the truck (which i doubt) then you can ignore this, (but i wouldnt) but if you ever do, you will smoke something...

ok... solution

IF IT WERE ME, I DID DO THIS...

use the 8:600 transformer, this will solve BOTH impedance and the isolation issues.. (since the windings on the transformer never touch). Then build a simple line out amplifier with a LM386 or one commercial.

so..

IPOD ----> AMP ----> TRANSFORMER --> VIC1

Where are you going into the vic1?

shootist

ok as requested here is a picture of the other side of the circuit
board.

Sure I have the desire, desire to make it work with out damaging something!
or setting my self on fire or something like thatrofl.
I could have easily paid an electrical engineer to do this for me,
but I figured -hey...I built the entire vehicle from the frame up with no prior know how this should be easy, and I like to break stuff.........uhhuh....

Then just when I thought I was finished I blew the motor-
Now rebuilding that soup to nuts -again no know how seemed pretty straight forward- even with all the machine work-simple.

So I figured while waiting for misc parts to arrive let me play
with something new....intercoms and radios.........:roll:
-fairly straight forward most of the tms were written for guys with grade school educations of the period-
not as easy as it seemed trying to attach modern toys to outdated hardware!

Figured just something else to learn that will come in handy right? and I have learned quite a bit in a short time from just reading and implementing and following suggestions here from all of you guys, with this radio stuff.

From what I have done in this case and seen, and my limited knowledge this scenario sounds like it could be what will work for my case for out side music
as was just mentioned above:
IPOD ----> AMP ----> TRANSFORMER --> VIC1. Think I will attempt this-

Now I also thought about using this type cable instead of the audio jacks(see pic)
to see how that would work out- I know it would give me use of hearing the phone etc- but don't really need that- the iPhone seems to ring right through the head set if I use it as an iPod- connected to the audio jacks
just as if I was wearing a normal headset with it.

As far as where the Ipod/phone connect: I have plugged into the
Audio jacks on the front of the 1780-

Attachments

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok, I figured you were using those input ports. in my system. documented here:

Integrating
with other equipment - RadioNerds

i used the RX input J508 which doubles at the power jack if your not using the radios..

its a much more reliable connection there...

for example in mine, i have a sirius satellite radio going into that, via a small amp and transformer.. its permanently mounted (although the Sirius control head is removable) so its always ready, just plug it in and go.

if you go in this port, use a transformer !!! you can simply hook the ipod directly to it, since it has louder volume..

so

IPOD --> 1/8 stereo jack --> transformer --> J508 Vic 1

shootist

So maybe that special cable might be a better option?

The way I set the vic up is:

batteries to 1029(rt524)- back to vic on the 501 port to have rx/tx capability through vic.
Then -1029(rt524) power jumped to 1029 (vrc53)
1029 (vrc53) is stand alone- that way i kept the 508 port on the vic
open in case i had to use that special cable route for "music"
I spent hours reading about that set up at radio nerds.
didn't realize it was you!

The other reason I kept the vrc53 stand alone was because originally the truck had 2 - 243g mounts on the drivers side- I removed one and replaced it with a
1729 set up for the 524.
And figured I would use the second 243 mount and ab15 for the cb radio.

shootist

Guys sorry
in my rush to get things working right
I had forgotten to thank each of you for all
Your advise I have the Vic system finally working well
Music sounds pretty good to
Again thanks to all of you for your help and support!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks