• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 placement

JDToumanian

Hi Y'All,

Jason (deuceaid) PMed me that I should show how I installed my VIC-1. The idea for the locations of the components is not mine, I got the idea from a member here (ida34 I think) except he used wood and I used a piece of 6" x 48" X 1/4" aluminum plate. The components are not in the way at all, the AM-1780 amplifier is between our heads and the C-2298 remotes are plenty far from the opposite ear. Everything is readily accessible, unlike a behind the seat placement which I also considered.

The cable from the VIC-1 to my radio tray (with PRC-77 in it) under the passenger seat is not connected in the pic, but it hangs nicely between the seats and is not in the way except that it passes in front of the rear window. I also have a MX-7777 on the transmission cover.

To me the best part of my installation is that everything can be easily removed, all the VIC-1 components are mounted on the same piece of aluminum, and it is hanging on the upper joint lip of the hard top by 4 bolts and nuts with a stack of fender washers on the back side (the lip of the hard top becomes captive between washers) and then there are two wing bolts (visible on each side of the AM-1780) that screw in and protrude out the back side of the plate and under the bottom of the hard top lip, so that the plate cannot lift up. It's very secure. I drilled no holes in the hard top. If I loosen the two wing bolts and disconnect one cable, the whole thing can be lifted out.

I'd swear I already posted a thread on this, but maybe I imagined it because I can't find the thread or the pics I thought I took.... (**** lead poisoning. Wear a respirator when you solder! I'm not kidding.)

Anyway, if anyone wants more pics I'll take some but if my description is clear enough or you like other locations better I won't bother.

For anyone thinking of a VIC-1 and/or radio set-up, I can't recommend it highly enough. I love it! My girlfriend and I can hold a conversation all day long at highway speed, nice and clear and in full duplex, with no buttons to push (H-161/U headsets)... Just turning it on. She can hear the conversations over the PRC-77 as well, and either one of us can transmit on the radio using the hand mic.... and each can also hear what the other is saying on the radio. Fantastic. It's made convoys so much fun.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks