• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIDEO - 5 ton desert chase scene

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a video on the BBC channel about a autonomous truck which in turn inspired me to make a short video to enter into a contest. I won't know what the results will be until July (I hate the wait).
I figure to post it here for you guys to see. Much thanks to the members here that helped to make this. I will let them chime in if they want. Oh, please no political stuff I want this thread to at least survive for a few days. Hope you guys like it.

http://youtu.be/IfViTm6g0lQ

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Nice clip.
I think the guys at the guard gate were waiting for you to slow down as you were leaving. :)
So what is the box you have mounted under the front bumper?
Is that hydraulic fluid storage?

Dblbeard

Cool clip, does raise a lot of ideas and thoughts. The article I read said by the end of 2013 there will be enough drones in service within US borders that
within 1/2 hour they can have at least one drone over any square mile in the US. In 2011 there were only 30+ drones in use in the US, by the end of 2013
there would be 10x that many.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nice job on your video. I love the sound of our trucks...nothing else like it out there...

Stein12501

Fastnova I just remember there is a military video showing a remote controlled 923 and it had a scanner and some antenna on top. Shows it following a four-wheeler around through some fields.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Fastnova I just remember there is a military video showing a remote controlled 923 and it had a scanner and some antenna on top. Shows it following a four-wheeler around through some fields.
DARPA remote controlled 5 ton "TerraMax".Known as the TerraMax
, this robotic truck is based on Oshkosh’s Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement (MTVR) defense truck platform. Equipped with a military grade Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), it uses radar to avoid obstacles and very high definition LIDAR – Light Detection and Ranging-- to understand ground surfaces. Correctly interpreting standing water is always a big challenge for these robots; Oshkosh told War Games it has made excellent progress on that front.
The robotic truck can be manned, tele-operated and programmed to autonomously follow a route or a lead truck. If the lead vehicle in a convoy is attacked, it's easy for the operator to reprogram the truck to follow a new leader.
The TerraMax can be driven by an x-box-like console, and for the soldier managing the robotic convoy it is very similar to using a Blue Force Tracker. It can even set tire inflation, lock configuration, adjust thresholds and range of deviation in obstacle avoidance.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2011/10...-children-at-defense-tech-show/#ixzz2U88CyQHt

Excellent video. I have become an indie film fan since being in two over the last few years.

Without meaning to be political I forsee an Orwellian future for the world if technology becomes the master rather than the servant.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it has spring loaded boxing gloves on either side of the box, so it can pull up next to idiot drivers and punch them in the face.

Cool video!

hwcurtice

I stand corrupted......it think it's a 7 ton.
Well, I wasn't commenting about your comment, WM. I think your response, and description of said vehicle was way better than mine. I started writing mine, and then decided to go look for the link to the episode teaser, and wow, two or three other responses popped in.

And we all know, you don't stand corrupted. You sit, teeter, lay down (Fall down?), and otherwise, never assume the standing position, corrupted. (Insert 'tongue in cheek' picture here)

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guy's for the complements. It took a lot of work to make that short video. (now I know why it takes a year to make a 2 hour long movie) Blendmaster had a big part in making it happen and he is "Jeff" in the movie. The "box" is not for storage. HINT: Look at the video in 1080p HD and the decal on there will give you an idea what it is.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it a lot. My only critique is the M-60, to be automatically controlled, would need more gizmos to simulate some kind of power turret.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks