• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Viet Nam CONEX boxes

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is some interesting history that still comes out of DRMO/GL. The "CONEX" box was used extensively during the Viet Nam war, intended as a returnable shipping container. Often, the CONEX boxes ended up at the front lines, being used for portable buildings with a million uses. Here is a pic of one use, that of a radio shack. (Picture credit Mighty1090KAAY.com) I have been looking for one of these for a long time, but after 45 years in the weather, the steel containers are usually a rusted mess. Well a couple of them came up on GL, and after having been able to preview, I snagged them. These will be a great cargo load for the duece when doing a Viet Nam impression. Keep your eyes open for these 'Nam artifacts!

Attachments

You can do just about anything with a connex box. In iraq we used them for everything from storage to sleep quarters. Built bunks out of 2x4s and plywood and throw in a couple a/c units, surround with dirt, hescoe barriers or sand bags and you have a safe blast resistant shelter.

ida34

We used them to store equipment in the 80's. They were supposed to be loaded out for deployment but when we deployed to Iraq we only took one and that had my arms room weapons in it. The rest stayed in the states while we were "over there".

JB

We have a few of these (full size & half size) for storage that came from Ft Benning a few years ago. I was told that some were used for keeping prisoners in them.

southdave

You can do just about anything with a connex box. In iraq we used them for everything from storage to sleep quarters. Built bunks out of 2x4s and plywood and throw in a couple a/c units, surround with dirt, hescoe barriers or sand bags and you have a safe blast resistant shelter.
I had to live in one, or chose to at davisville before they closed it we had an airconditioner and project screen tv in it , that calmshawed from Newport RI BOQ LOL It was a fully functioning babe lair to qutoe garth.

They were actually pretty cold with all the dirt surrounding them. And with no windows it made sleeping during the day easy. Though spending alot of time in a box with no windows can make you feel kinda claustrophobic.

They were actually pretty cold with all the dirt surrounding them. And with no windows it made sleeping during the day easy. Though spending alot of time in a box with no windows can make you feel kinda claustrophobic.
I lived for months at a time in a box with no windows in it. Actually, it wasn't a box, it was a cylinder.

Dave
MM2(SS)

halftrack

I see those types at a lot of our Reserve Units. Though we have new ones (quadcons we call them) we usually use them for storage at the Sites and don't use them to deploy with. They are usually rusted really bad.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
They are still call Quad Cons and Connex Boxes , The Army still uses them like the other branches, cool some things never change. We use them statside and in Iraq and Afganistan. I enjoy history - Jay

The Janiter

I found 2 that were newer - one with a single door and one like you show.

Last year I found a radio box for the deuce - it's about 25 years old.

When the weather clears I'll take some pics of them

saddamsnightmare

February 6th, 2010.

How well will a Conex or equivalent box fit the bed of a standard M35A2? I may be getting assigned a temporary job with the National Park Service this summer in either Alaska or Cape Hatteras, and instead of going broke on rental property (Uncle doesn't pay that well....), I might be inclined to adapt one of these to the truck as a temporary residence for myself. What would be the best ways to secure same in bed without cutting or welding work, as I don't want to alter the truck's historic appearance???? Anyone got one here in NE Texas or SW Arkansas they might want to unload??? Also what is the resultant end height on the box and truck (any clues?) so I can calculate bridge clearances??????:shock:

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:p