• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam Era Jeep Engines

spocter

Hello All,
I have 2 complete Vietnam Era (I Think) Jeep engines with transmissions and transfer cases. They have the sealed ignitions. When I put them on the pallet,they had 30,000 miles on them. I was wondering if anyone knew what they are worth? If this is the wrong spot to ask,I apologize. Thank you in advance

Emmett

Depends on what "jeep" they came out of....30,000 miles on a military jeep is a LOT of miles.
I can only assuem they were taken out because they were junk.
You need more info as to just what engine we are taliking about.

spocter

I don't know. I do know they ran like a top before putting on palet. Didn't use any oil or anything like that. Has the complete power train on them except axles and shafts and stuff like that. Do know the starters and HUGE alternators are 24v if that helps at all. Thank you for your reply

Emmett

There should be a data plate on the side of the engine.
If the engine is complete, and it is a 151 you can start it on the pallet. Just don't rev it up or it will flip over.
Without a compression check, insuring it runs and a look inside the transmission, someone would be buying a pig in a poke.

spocter

I am not trying to sell them,but was just wondering what they were worth. I know they are in real good condition. That being said,just wondering if they were a sought after item and the value.

Emmett

As stated before, you need to know what engine they are. I guess all engine/transmission combos are worth what nw42 said. Having extras that work (alt, starter, rad, etc) makes it worth more. Ya gotta know what you have before you can ask what it's worth.
Kinda like me asking you, " I have a big stereo with speakers, what is it worth?" Depends on a lot of things.

papercu

M151AX engines and transmissions were pulled by the thousands in the late 80 and early 90s.
TJ still have plenty of running ones, you can call and ask or just do a Internet search.
That being said they are worth what they can sell for, start high and work down. Wayne

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do know they ran like a top before putting on pallet. Didn't use any oil or anything like that.
Did you drive the Jeeps around to know they did not use oil or anything? If so, do you remember what the jeeps looked like? Find a picture on the Internet, of the jeeps they came from then we might have a better idea what you have.

An actual picture of the engines, would be good too.

When I put them on the pallet,they had 30,000 miles on them.
All of them had 30000 miles? That's kinda odd. How many miles are on them now? Also, how long ago was that? Were they stored underwater?

I am not trying to sell them,but was just wondering what they were worth.
Why value them? Are you trying to insure them?

How many do you have?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks