• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vietnam tribute Truck

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

The summer MV shows are coming up. I've hooked up with a Vietnam era Vet ( he was very specific, did not want anyone thinking he was one who served over there). Both of us want to show our appreation and honor all Vietnam War Vets with a tribute truck. My M35A2 W/W is a 1970, a perfect candidate for turning into a truck for the vets. What i don't have is any idea what to paint it up as. it currently has the 4 color scheme, which i don't know whether or not it was used in country in 1970. It was 160th Tank Battalion support truck, Kansas National Guard (thanks CARNAC). That fits my idea since the two Vietnam War vets in my family were Tankers.

What i'm asking from any of our members who are Vietnam War Vets if there are paticulars that you'd like to see and if possible post or send pictures I can use as examples to get it right. I'd thought putting the US Flag along with the flag of South Vietnam in and or around the truck, appropriately displayed of course. I have a few months to get the whole thing done. it's going to be on a shoe string budget but it will be appropriate and as best I can to show our appreciation to them. I have a fellow Marines Uniforms from that era, which will be displayed along with the truck (the truck will probably stay Army, my cousins were both Army but that's not set in stone).

I will not do a gun truck, I can't, it's way outside my league. Just your everyday convoy truck is the theme i want to present.

Bottom line, this is going to be a tribute in good taste staying completely away from the politcs and honoring Vietnam Veterans no matter the branch of service.

Thank you to all our Vietnam vets, welcome home.

vtdeucedriver

So is it my understanding that you want your deuce as a standard deuce in a Armored outfit in Vietnam??? Easy as pie.

Start out with painting the truck in Semi Gloss OD 24087, 20"star on the hood (pointing forward) 16" or 20" stars on the doors. We can work on bumper markings shortly.

Another look that you did not mention is what do you have for a top???? In my book for a VN authentic truck, canvas top is the only way to go.

I am not a Vietnam Vet but I have looked at enough pictures of trucks in Vietnam to understand how they look. I have helped numerous guys "get it right" and have had many vets tell me[thumbzup]

Attachments

Garandfan

I went with the 8th transportation unit colors. I saw them in a book a long time ago. Been criticized about the bumper markings not being correct. But I have a US Customs ticket from Kuwait stamped Operation Iraqi Freedom with the truck markings. So I kept the numbers original. If anyone has a cheap used or well used canvas cab top... I'll be set

Attachments

Last edited:

robert c neth

Banned
they vary beat ,bent ,covered with mud,dust ,bullet holes ,broke glass to fairly descent looking.and dont forget the cargo.good luck on your project.

seabeeut

I just recieved some OD-24087 spray cans from army jeep parts to try out the color.
very happy with the color will be painting the whole truck in the spring.
I have a canvas cargo cover and ends still looking for the canvas cab cover.
mine is a 1972 that I am redoing back to Navy Seabee markings
I like your idea of the tribute.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So is it my understanding that you want your deuce as a standard deuce in a Armored outfit in Vietnam??? Easy as pie.

Start out with painting the truck in Semi Gloss OD 24087, 20"star on the hood (pointing forward) 16" or 20" stars on the doors. We can work on bumper markings shortly.

Another look that you did not mention is what do you have for a top???? In my book for a VN authentic truck, canvas top is the only way to go.

I am not a Vietnam Vet but I have looked at enough pictures of trucks in Vietnam to understand how they look. I have helped numerous guys "get it right" and have had many vets tell me[thumbzup]
You have hit the nail directly on the head. I now know the color, thank you. The star is going to be interesting...I've never been able to draw one in my life...I'll get these right tho. The bumper markings will require much research. Of my two cousins, both returned to the (really bad) want to use a cuss word here, but cant, reception. Whatever, Tom saw, destroyed him. He lasted about 6 to 7 years and finally the booze and or drugs got him killed in a horrific traffic accident. He was a great guy to us little kids, I miss him still. The other cousin disappeared. We know he's alive, he buried my Aunt and Uncle when they died of old age. I don't know how to get ahold of him and from what i've been told, he never will allow contact. So...getting their units is a challenge. If there's a book on Tank unit ops in Vietnam, maybe I can derive some info from it and get at least close to one of them. I'll use that as the bumper markings. As to the bumps, bruises, road damage, etc....I'm not doing a frame up restore on this truck for that reason. it's going to have the right paint and markings of a Tank unit in Vietnam. But i's going to have the dents holes and dings that are already in the truck. I am really curious about some of the holes in my truck. Have no way of knowing but if you insert a .30 into some of the holes, it's a perfect fit and these are holes that go no where.

Cargo is something i never even thought of but :doh: it's a great idea! Going to take some work on that one. Recreating a C-rat box may be an idea Again, a photo with dimensions would be great. I think I can get the exact wording on a typical box from a local MV fan. After that, it's just bending cardboard to the right size. Cardboard is free, raid Wallyworld on a freight day will garner huge amounts. All I need is the outside layer to look right. A pallet of those plus some wooden crates (have quite a few), throw in some other stuff (as yet to be defined)...I'll need pictures and i think it'll be close. A canvas top is going to have to be on the list too, it sounds like...I saw several pictures of the trucks and none of them had the really cool rubberized vinyl tops.

Again, this is for the Vets. A beat to crap truck I have but in my opinion, I'd like to give a bit better than that. I've never had the time or materials (including truck) to do such a project. It's high time to get off my A$$ and do it.

Final note: My cousin that survived post war, told a story that made it out to the rest of the family. Seems he was on patrol with the Grunts, supporting them somehow, somewhere. He got his tank stuck in a rice patty (sp?). It was is in unfreindly territiry and was told to leave it behind and they'd try and recover as soon as they could. He didn't leave. he stayed with the tank, dug it out and drove it back to camp/base/whatever or wherever it he was assigned. That and a couple little tidbits of info is all I have to work with for bumper markings.

Thank you for the help so far, I'll be a pest on this till it's done and I'll get pictures out as chages come along. For now here's a couple of pics of what i'm starting with.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My observations:
A) Lights: Change out the composite lights to the older style. No yellow headlights!
B) Fabrics: Canvas
C) Mirrors: Single arm, but west coast have been seen on VN era trucks.
D) Paint: As stated, 24087. Don't paint the nose yellow!

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just recieved some OD-24087 spray cans from army jeep parts to try out the color.
very happy with the color will be painting the whole truck in the spring.
I have a canvas cargo cover and ends still looking for the canvas cab cover.
mine is a 1972 that I am redoing back to Navy Seabee markings
I like your idea of the tribute.
Could you tell me who the paint source was? I know there are several and all probably provide nearly the same product. Cause of my hand issue (long monotonous story) I really need to spray bomb the truck...won't be as professional as a regular spray down but would look (maybe) like a job done in country.
As for the canvas, there is a source in the MV magazine for all things canvas. Don't now the cost but that's my first stop.
Good luck with your truck! Hope it all turns out well![thumbzup]

AceHigh

While any degree of painting professionalism is OK, if you want good lettering use a paint mask set. There are a few guys on here who will make them up for you with your unit numbers and the stars and TP stuff as well as fuel tank and drain air tanks. Makes it real easy to do.

I have a hard top, but it is Vietnam era.

Attachments

seabeeut

Could you tell me who the paint source was? I know there are several and all probably provide nearly the same product. Cause of my hand issue (long monotonous story) I really need to spray bomb the truck...won't be as professional as a regular spray down but would look (maybe) like a job done in country.
As for the canvas, there is a source in the MV magazine for all things canvas. Don't now the cost but that's my first stop.
Good luck with your truck! Hope it all turns out well![thumbzup]
Army Jeep Parts Inc.
215-269-5014 Phone
215-269-5016 FAX

This is where I got mine very nice people
there is a theard on here about guys painting with behr house paint
I plan on spraying a sample of the 24087 and seeing if lowes or home depot
can match it. I too am working on a budget and if I can shoot the truck with an electric sprayer and exterior paint I think I can get it done for less than 150 and some time.

ctmustang

My avatar is a pic of one I painted a few years back it turned out very nice.
If you google the name Rick Larsen he has the paint stencile for the stars and all lettering for the deuce and you'll be surprised how inexpensive they are.
CT

Driver523

Hum---maybe a replica cargo?---not bad for history either, you'd have unit history and some deuce history------pics------------

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My observations:
A) Lights: Change out the composite lights to the older style. No yellow headlights!
B) Fabrics: Canvas
C) Mirrors: Single arm, but west coast have been seen on VN era trucks.
D) Paint: As stated, 24087. Don't paint the nose yellow!
Thank you on the list. I'll be looking for those lights. Might have some already...
Check on the canvas, got a source. Will price that out the closer summer gets here.
Roger on the paint color. At the expense of sounding dumb, why no yellow nose? I hadn't planned on it. What is the meaning of the yellow nose?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hum---maybe a replica cargo?---not bad for history either, you'd have unit history and some deuce history------pics------------
Thank you very much for the photos! You had a busy time over there! I'm going to skip the window bullet holes...DOT will frown on that but the rest are priceless. On a sad note, looks like IEDs were a major problem in SEA too, judging by the two photos.

Work has begun on the truck already, gotta get the mechanical stuff out of the way first. Once that's finished, let the painting begin! I wonder...would NAPA or some other local paint shoip have that color/tint? easy to check up on, got lots of paint shops around.

Thanks again, and thank you for your service!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks