• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

vin code

Barneyrubble

Hi all,I was looking through the vin code thread in FAQ, and my vin code matches all the digits except the 5th digit is a K and the 8th digit is a C,my question is,do I still have a m1009 or something similar,the 3rd digit is an 8 which decodes as an m1009,thanks.It is fitted with a 6.2 diesel and a 700r4 box.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your VIN looks to be a civilian VIN. The K indicates 4x4 and the "C" is the emissions 6.2.

GHall

CARNAC has a 2013 VIN info thread.. Search and read his instructions and see what you think. He asks for a small donation for charity I believe. Just a thought.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not a true M1009, your truck more than likely was still purchased by the government and used by one of the branches of the military.

Have you ever posted some pictures of the truck and engine compartment?

Last edited:

Barneyrubble

No,I will have to,although because parts are hard to come by over here,I have had to change the engine bay layout slightly,for instance the batteries are not where they are supposed to be located,and I have redone most of the wiring myself,before I knew about this site,its a pity really,would have saved me alot of head scratching,but I always manage to sort problems out in the end,I will attempt to post some pics of engine bay,it came with 2 alternators,2 batts,blackout switches,blackout convoy lights and the vin has a number 8 for third digit indicating a 1009.

Ken_86gt

It does look nice. The engine compartment sure looks military. The body looks like it was mostly converted. What year is it?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note no resistor bank or slave port. Maybe it's a Canadian version. Any of our northern neighbors advise if Canada had it's own version?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see a GP relay either.

Hood ornament. Different (and really sweet) bumpers. And, couldn't tell too well from the pics, but civi seats maybe? Civilian badging.

Camo looks to be the correct NATO pattern. Right now I am leaning towards Warthogs view, civi unit acquired and converted specifically for the Army (it looks like).

Do you have data plates on the door pillar or lower drivers side door? Pics of these would be great.

Nice looking machine ...

P.S. I thought there was strictly no parking near that hedgerow :-D

Looks great to me. I dont know enough to give a history but I'd lean towards civi unit originally though. Looks to be in great shape compared to some that I've seen.

Barneyrubble

according to vin its a 1983,when i acquired it,it had the bumpers,glow plugs are now on a manual switch so no relay,if you look closely the starter slave port is mounted on the front left bumper,the paint is genuine carc,which would be really hard to come by over here,there are data plates on the drivers door,i have already guessed that the wings,sorry fenders have been replaced with civvy ones,as is probably the hood,but once again its genuine carc paint so if somebody converted a blazer over here they must have spent a lot of time,effort and money and for why?.There are holes in the roof which have been filled with rubber grommets,so I'm guessing again it may have had roof beacons fitted once,and also inside there are warning labels about driving with no seatbelts,and advisory notices about driving on airfields,is it possible it may have been a US Airforce vehicle?,we do have a few US Airbases over here?.Perhaps one of you guys knows,after all,you will have more knowledge of these vehicles than I would.Oh yes,I think the seats will have been replaced at some time as well,although all the seats match.It would be nice to know I have an ex service vehicle,but its a great truck to drive and own,it sure turns heads over here,and I would miss it if I had to sell it,plus it upsets all the LR owners!!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever "duck" it is, it's a NICE looking truck! Thank you for sharing the photos with us! Always nice hearing from a member across the pond!
God bless,
Tony

Skinny

Who cares if it's genuine. You gave a clean looking Blazer with the 24v system and a winch...rock on!

Curious if it has a TH400 and 3.08 gears like an M1009. If it's civi, shouldn't it come with a 700R4?

Do me a favor, every time you have an old LR coming at you, just hug the middle line and show them who's boss ;)

Barneyrubble

I think it did have a th400 once,as the vacuum unit is still in place,it has a 700r4 now,and as you probably know it does not use a vacuum unit,according to the build spec on a label in the engine bay,it has 3.08 gears and a locking diff in the rear axle,could not disprove that though,not had the diff apart yet.The inside is painted a matt green colour,and CARC is stencilled in various places,there is a plate on the drivers door as well,and the rear suspension has some serious heavy duty leafs,7 aside I think.There is also the 24v bus bar on the bulkhead in the engine bay.I believe it started life as an M1009,but through lack of proper spares over here,it has been changed a lot.

ryan77

Looks like a civy with a military engine dropped in it! Post some interior pics! Any data plates!!