• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vin Help

dieseler

I done searched and read through the threads about Vin location and seen pictures of where it could be located, but I can't find the vin on my frame. The data plate says 4D7994. From what I have been reading I'm not really sure if that is it or not. That number is also on the inside of the doors. I gonna pick up some more paint stripper tomorrow and try some other spots. Anybody have any insite on where it might be.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That number sounds like it's your serial number, not the vin. The vin should be on the data tag on the dash.

It will be on the drivers side frame rail. Look at the pitman arm, then look about 3-5" to the right and it will be there.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/269673-post4.html

Last edited:

dieseler

That's the only number on the dash and it's not by the pitman arm. I tried all around that area and came up with nothing.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The area shown in the photo. You have to take all of the paint and primer off. I used a flap disk. It may not be stamped too deep on the frame so do not use a grinding wheel!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you give Carnac, your serial number, he may be able to tell you the vin associated to it. He has a thread for vin info, post it there.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The digits on mine are not in a straight line, must have been after lunch on a Friday, and there is a two or three inch space between the first four digits and the following five.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some older trucks will have the VIN on the passenger side frame rail.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
What you have is your registration number. It will not be imprinted on the frame. That is assigned to the vehicle almost similar as a number assigned to a standard civilian vehicle registration form. It rarely changes but on very rare occasions it can. Serial numbers(VIN) do not change even if the vehicle undergoes a complete rebuild or purpose change.

I would also be reluctant to just go with looking up a vin based on the registration number for the fact that it can be faked, fudged, or flubbed by a unit as they paint it on.

fabiodriven

Well, I'm in the process of getting a title for my deuce and I've given the DMV my serial #'s because that's all I could find. I'm kinda mad reading this because I would've looked for the VIN on the frame before I sent out all my paperwork if I knew to look there.:doh:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My friend, info on this has been posted for quite awhile and I even recall photos of where to look before this thread.

I've also highly suggested that even folks with data plates on their deuces to a double check on the frame just to be sure.

I also do not suggest using the registration number as part of the vin when registering the vehicle since it gives another potential for error and technically it is not part of the vin.

I would suggest painting or labling the registration number inside the doors and under the hood for historical purposes. Other than that, the registration number doesn't mean anything in civilian terms.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VIN, S/N, call it what you want but IMO they are the same thing. The registration number is the "4D7994" listed above or as in "NK045SW" in CARNAC's avatar. The reg. number is usually painted on the inside of the doors or sometimes on the hood or sometimes on the data plate.

fabiodriven

If you'll look at my stats, Carnac, you will see I haven't been here that long. All I can go by is what people have told me and whatever I come across. I wanted to find out some info about a month ago but the man to ask has closed his thread. I was waiting for as long as I could, but I wanted to get the ball rollin, y'know?

Are you referring to my serial #'s as my registration #?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Negative. Your serial number is your vin and vice versa. Your serial number is stamped on the frame of your truck and that serial number should match the serial number on the data plate.

The registration number for civilian purposes is basically useless.

On deuces the serial number will be all numbers. On 5 tons it will sometimes (most of the time if not always) have a letter in front normally a C.

Registration numbers are alpha-numeric and will normally begin with an N on Army trucks.

Can't help the time off-line unless you are willing to buy me a high speed satcom device and pay the communicaitons bills next time I go to some ****hole. It ain't like I'm getting paid to perform this service. Just trying to help out when I can and help the site. Could just as easily be sleeping or working or spending time with the family instead of using the 10 minutes per vin for folks on the site. The thread was only closed for 3 weeks since I didn't have high enough speed access.

Guess one of us had bad timing.

dieseler

Well it's not on left frame rail or on the right frame rail. This number was on a tag inside the door frame 9-2320-200-35-1. Any suggestions.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats probably a modification of some sort to the cab. Post a picture of your truck and any data plates.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a Modification Work Order, for seat belts.

Can you give us a general description of your truck? Maybe some pictures?

Look at the axle housings, there will be tags on the differential housings. They will have dates.

Also the tags on your transmission and transfer case, may have dates on them.

Does your engine have a tag on it with the contract date?

dieseler

Didn't see any tags that I could read on the axles or tranny but they could be painted over. I look tomorrow with some better light. It's just a M35A2 hard top. Tag on inside says for repairs says 9-87 but no other numbers. Number from top is SN 4884 Contract #SP0750-96-C-2381. Is there any where else on the frame it could be?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The registration number for civilian purposes is basically useless.

On deuces the serial number will be all numbers. On 5 tons it will sometimes (most of the time if not always) have a letter in front normally a C.
Some of the early deuces will have a "M" in front of the S/N.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks