• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vin location on M931?

STURGEOUS

I have recently purchasd an M931 tractor truck and am trying to find the Vin number so I can title it, does anyone know where I might find this on the truck and some GVWR info, maybe the vehicle weight as well? Any help would sure be appreciated.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your truck missing this data plate? The vin will be this format: C531-XXXXX. Also on LH frame rail above front spring perch. Empty weight is 21,000, capy is 10 tons for 41,000 GVW.

Attachments

STURGEOUS

Thanks guys, I did not know the info was over on that tag, passenger side. Appreciate it.....this is a whole new ball game for me. It's nice to have this kind of support, thx again.

Aruba1

Is your truck missing this data plate? The vin will be this format: C531-XXXXX. Also on LH frame rail above front spring perch. Empty weight is 21,000, capy is 10 tons for 41,000 GVW.
Sorry to resurrect this thread... what are the 5 or 6 digits in front of the C531etc, should I leave those out when I call to get insurance or should they be added to the VIN?

Gunzy

That would depend on what is on the title/sf97. If those paper(s) have it, it is now part of the S/N, if they don't it isn't part of the S/N. I have seen paper work (title or SF97) be both ways.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to resurrect this thread... what are the 5 or 6 digits in front of the C531etc, should I leave those out when I call to get insurance or should they be added to the VIN?
Those numbers/letters are the Army registration number, not part of the mfg serial number, UNLESS, like GUNZY said, someone already blended the two on official paperwork.

Aruba1

Thanks! I am Mr Bad Luck when it comes to the DMV. The BOS that I got from a local auction site has the 9 digit number with the leading C. When my wife added the vehicle to our insurance, she used the Army registration number as part of the VIN. The insurance company decided (for some reason) to add "88" to the vin. We didn't catch this until the lady at the DMV noted it. The person that helped me also stated that they needed a SF-97 form. So if you are registering your military vehicle that is 1980 or above at the Oneonta, AL DMV, you need the SF-97 form, lol, and they will need to inspect the VIN plate on your truck.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It also depends on who you get it from. If you get it from Gov planet/Iron Planet it comes with a new vin number, not the serial number. The truck comes with a new Florida title.

Gunzy

It also depends on who you get it from. If you get it from Gov planet/Iron Planet it comes with a new vin number, not the serial number. The truck comes with a new Florida title.
I have never seen GP change the S/N on the trucks as that is not legal and you only get a Florida title if you request and pay for one.

Aruba1

I am still trying to learn things about this truck so I can apply for a SF-97 through Gov. Planet even if I did not purchase the truck from them? In the form it asks for an "Item #", do I just leave this blank or put N/A? Sorry to ask that question on this site but you guys are very knowledgeable and I have not received a reply from them yet.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As noted above sometimes the army registration number is on the data plate with the serial number and gets merged on paper work. I had one that way. All that needs to be on the SF-97 is the Cxxx-xxxxxx number that is on the frame. When you apply for the SF-97, just use the frame serial number unless the data plate and/or paperwork says otherwise. Just be sure to verify the serial number on the frame matches and is/or part of the number (if the army registration number is merged) that you submit on your SF-97.

Another issue I ran into when getting a title from GP, was they changed the name of the manufacturer to USMC. I don't know why because there was a data plate that had the manufacturer's name on it and that's what I put on the SF-97. Maybe the name was too long. The rest of the numbers were correct so I didn't worry about it. Looking back I probably should have had them correct it.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still trying to learn things about this truck so I can apply for a SF-97 through Gov. Planet even if I did not purchase the truck from them? In the form it asks for an "Item #", do I just leave this blank or put N/A? Sorry to ask that question on this site but you guys are very knowledgeable and I have not received a reply from them yet.
Jus a guess here, but if you didn't buy the truck through gov planet, they're not going to do it.