• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIN location

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Does South Dakota put a VIN number on MV’s such as a tag like you would find on a vehicle? Trying to get a title in my name in the state of Montana with the vehicle having South Dakota title and they say it’s too short I need to have the MV retitled in Montana as if it never had a title “possibly” as they are clueless on what to do.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My experience (Minnesota), vehicles have 'VIN' and 'Serial Numbers'. All civilian vehicles after 1982? would have VINs that belong in a standard format. Custom vehicles, as well as some commercial (and military) will have a serial number.

The state MAY choose to re-vin the vehicle, in MN this involves placing a sticker on the A-pillar door sill, and then putting two custom metal rivets through the sticker to deter tampering. (The VIN sticker in MN is also just a serial number...)

For my HMMWV, MN (apparently, before I owned it) had inspected the vehicle.. verified the serial number of correct, and no other vehicles in the state had the same serial number -- so issued a title with a "short" VIN that happens to be my serial number.

Each state can do what they want with this... but likely your state has an 'override' policy. If you can show the original SD title with the short VIN to the right person, they can get that serial number approved instead of a VIN.

EDIT: Forgot to add, some states may require a vehicle inspection for a non-standard VIN. In Minnesota this inspection is done by the state patrol. I have a 1967 Jeepster Commando I went through this process with. The annoying bit was no on-road registration meant I had to have it towed to the inspection area -- leave it with them for a day, and then get the approval letter. (And in my case, they also added the VIN sticker since they didn't trust the serial number plate held on with [factory original] Philips screws.)

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Guess I will find out Tuesday of next week. This town is small and if you do something they don't like you aren't forgottened and will treat you as such. Which the ones that don't like me happen to be the DMV who also deal with property taxes and you don't get a choice of just going to next county over to do your business there either.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does South Dakota put a VIN number on MV’s such as a tag like you would find on a vehicle? Trying to get a title in my name in the state of Montana with the vehicle having South Dakota title and they say it’s too short I need to have the MV retitled in Montana as if it never had a title “possibly” as they are clueless on what to do.
A lot of MV's don't have "standard VIN's.

A word of CAUTION is that the paper pushers at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles in North Carolina) have a book under the counter that instruct them what to do with a non-standard VIN. You will read (on here) about them padding a VIN with numbers before the actual numbers. The thing to be careful of is that YOU not suggest to them what they need to do. You have insurance on a particular VIN. That VIN and the VIN that the DMV has on record HAVE GOT TO MATCH. There have been folks who got nasty letters from the DMV because you don't have any insurance on VIN ######## and they can get really unreasonable. Especially when THEY caused the problem.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
A lot of MV's don't have "standard VIN's.

A word of CAUTION is that the paper pushers at the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles in North Carolina) have a book under the counter that instruct them what to do with a non-standard VIN. You will read (on here) about them padding a VIN with numbers before the actual numbers. The thing to be careful of is that YOU not suggest to them what they need to do. You have insurance on a particular VIN. That VIN and the VIN that the DMV has on record HAVE GOT TO MATCH. There have been folks who got nasty letters from the DMV because you don't have any insurance on VIN ######## and they can get really unreasonable. Especially when THEY caused the problem.
Believe me these folks ain't doing nothing outside the line in that regards and in fact are going to push their own line of making my life miserable as possible especially this one woman in particular. This woman is very snappy need a good dose of you know what after one wipes the dust and cobwebs off of it and she is the manager, so when others don't know here she comes. She also doesn't know herself on this so instead of figuring it out if she can she would make me get a whole new VIN number when done is where I figure this is going to go, why cause she can and she hates me.
Snatched a piece of land up under a tax lien that someone abandoned over 3 years ago and they have been mad at me ever since I did it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Believe me these folks ain't doing nothing outside the line in that regards and in fact are going to push their own line of making my life miserable as possible especially this one woman in particular. This woman is very snappy need a good dose of you know what after one wipes the dust and cobwebs off of it and she is the manager, so when others don't know here she comes. She also doesn't know herself on this so instead of figuring it out if she can she would make me get a whole new VIN number when done is where I figure this is going to go, why cause she can and she hates me.
Snatched a piece of land up under a tax lien that someone abandoned over 3 years ago and they have been mad at me ever since I did it.
In Montana it might be a long way to ride, but avoiding those particular people - especially the lady with the cobwebs - might be worth the drive... Maybe?

We have "contract stations" here in town who do a much better job than the state government employees. They actually care about doing a good job and it is even enjoyable to visit them. Got one lady that I see every time I have something new and she is almost as excited as I am when I get a new MV.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
In Montana it might be a long way to ride, but avoiding those particular people - especially the lady with the cobwebs - might be worth the drive... Maybe?

We have "contract stations" here in town who do a much better job than the state government employees. They actually care about doing a good job and it is even enjoyable to visit them. Got one lady that I see every time I have something new and she is almost as excited as I am when I get a new MV.
If I could I would, doesn't work like that here, I tried. I would jump the state line if I could!

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Like to say I got the MV titled and registered in the state of Montana, wasn't too hard I got lucky and the "special lady" was out sick. They at first messed up and put it as "Commercial Vehicle" but I got it as "Farm Vehicle" now which means registration for 50k went from $400 plus to $176 a year. Even got a custom license plate for it that will take about a month to come in, though in the mean time this is what plate I got and I put ZOMBY on it. So if you read the plates right they say, MONTANA ZOMBY HUNTER :ROFLMAO:
Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 07-01-22 Montana-Wildlife-Federation-Thumb.jpg (JPEG Image 500 × 356 ...png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks