• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

vin problem

bjsmith

got sf97 from the guy i bought from then went to find vin on frame to go get the vin verification needed to title it here. then found my vin and sf97 dont match 1 number different mine is 032517724 and sf97 says its a 72 am general but data plate and frame say 012517724 made by kaiser accornding to what i found on here 01 would indicate its a 66 kaiser and 03 would be 68 but sf97 says 72 and mfg by am general. plans are to call the guy i got it from and see waht he can do guess its just mistake by him when filling out papers for sf97? any thoughts on what to do i am caling him tomorrow when he opens.
data plate

sf97

first half of vin

second half guess they had hard time with the 2

flyxpl

may not be his fault . I bought a deuce from gsa this summer . They said it was a 89 . You could clearly see from the pics it was not a 89 . Still had the old style mirrors on it . It ended up being a 68 and the serial # was not correct on either .

pmramsey

When buying from GL, their instructions say to wait until one picks up the vehicle before requesting the "97" because YOU must verify the data on the vehicle data plate. The fact that it is not exactly as advertsed on the auction does not matter after you leave the GL lot. If all the other description is correct except for the VIN #, I take the vehicle and submit the actual VIN number found on the truck to be placed on the title. I get a title with a matching VIN # on the from the data plate. Anything else and you are screwed. Private sales must be treated with care. perhaps someone was simply cleaning up their own mistake. It is possible the seller was not aware.

OldDominionIron2

I would go with it being a 1966, my deuce starts with 0125 but it was advertised on GL as a 1970. Turns out it was a 66, and I applied for my title from GL with that year on it. Previous posters are correct, you need a corrected SF97, I hope you can get one. Enjoy your truck, according to your number, it's slightly older than mine (smaller number).

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
X2 on confirming the correct VIN for a SF97. The buck stops with you and all the mistakes and errors have to be corrected when the truck hits the civi world.

If you are in a hurry the SF97 can be sent overnight for about $70.

Rick

ToddBer

No stamped VIN on frame??

M35A2 - I have sanded down the frame - drivers side - front wheel - to the metal. I have yet to find a vin stamp on it. I have looked by the shock, the steering box, etc. Nothing. Is is possible it is not there? Am I looking in the wrong place??

Data plate in truck shows: 04G89471-21566 - VIN??

Any help would be helpful.

M1031CMT

M35A2 - I have sanded down the frame - drivers side - front wheel - to the metal. I have yet to find a vin stamp on it. I have looked by the shock, the steering box, etc. Nothing. Is is possible it is not there? Am I looking in the wrong place??

Data plate in truck shows: 04G89471-21566 - VIN??

Any help would be helpful.
Welcome to the site.

I would have started a new thread on your problem rather that posting in a thread about a different problem.

Anyways. The vin is in the same location on the two M35A2's and one M109A3 in our yard. Is only the last 9 digits, but they are there. On one of the trucks it is faint, but the other two are pretty clear.

When you sanded down the frame, what did you use? Seen some people sand down using a grinding wheel where they pretty much grinded most of the vin away.

Is in this location on the drivers side.

Attachments

ToddBer

M1031cmt - as soon as I posted my comment I thought that I should have started new.

Regarding the how - well I did start with a grinding wire brush and moved to sand paper. After the posting I went and got stripper and sprayed, right where you highlighted in your photo. It is really faint, but it is there. Paper and pencil trick brought it out more clearly.

Thanks, Todd

Last edited:

M1031CMT

Glad to hear that you found it. It is pretty faint on one of our trucks as well and the first time I went to find it, I thought it wasn't there either. Seems that whatever they used to stamp them wasn't very good some times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks