• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIN - year clarification...

Asmoday

So as per my other recent post I'm seriously pondering a local M1009. Now when I looked at the VIN tag it listed the build date as 10/84. But as per the VIN decoding guide it is saying it's actually a 1985.

So is it '84 or an '85 based on the following plate below...?

I will be receiving a SF97 with it to register here in CA.

Note the "FF" in the VIN number which leads me to believe...
F=1985 Model year and F=Flint Assembly plant...?

Attachments

mikelee

You have an 84 they were built here at Flint truck plant all models regardless of year are the same notice bezels and grille support all older models.

Sasquatch

I'd say go by the VIN for registration, 1985, but whenever you go to get parts it's easiest to ask for 1984 parts because later years had civy upgrades and part changes that the military vehicles didn't get.

unaffiliated

Back in the day, vehicles that were built after September of a certain year were titled as the next year, hence the F (1985) as the 10th digit in the vehicle you are looking at. Now days it is a whole new ball game. We actually had a customer whose car was built in December 1993 but it titled as a 1995 and the VIN shows 1995, go figure. Yours is definitely a 1985, but Sasquatch is right, always ask for parts as if it were a 1984.

epitts

The paper work I got from GL said mine was an 1984, the Sheriff said based on the October build date it was a 1985. DMV would not accept both papers as the year of build did not match. So went back Sheriff dept found a new Deputy who changed the p paper work to match. Now both say 1984, took back to DMV they then titled it as a 1985. Go figure aua

unaffiliated

I've noticed that GL will often go by the production date to describe what year model a CUCV is. The DMV will always use the 10th digit of the VIN to determine the year model. 10th digit E=84, F=85, G=86, regardless of production date.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks